Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help! Weekend care needed ASAP

(13 Posts)
LoveStruck Tue 06-Nov-12 22:24:57

I need to travel urgently abroad but frustratingly my 14 month old is still without passport! My family live abroad and the father us very absent. My friends don't have children and aren't really the "mothering" type. So rather depressingly I don't have any friends/family who I could ask to look after him for the weekend. So is there any childcare that can facilitate my rather unusual request of a weekend childminder? Thanks in advance!

lechatnoir Tue 06-Nov-12 22:30:32

I would have thought nanny is most obvious (although most expensive for 1 child) but you might find a childminder who is willing to work weekends either ad hoc or on a regular basis. Either one will undoubtedly charge a premium rate - I CM on the odd weekend & my charges are 1.5 x normal rate between 9am & 5pm increasing to double time outside these hours. Childcare.co.uk is a good place to start or mumsnet local boards, netmums childcare board, FIS service or children's centres may all be able to help for both plus nanny agency.

jomorgan Tue 06-Nov-12 23:26:42

where abouts are you OP? If you're anywhere near London I may be able to offer my services - im a nanny.

Misssss Tue 06-Nov-12 23:26:45

Where do you live? Nanny agency or nanny? Try netmums childcare board. I Do adhoc nannying so PM me, I may be able to help or recommend someone. Good luck!

calmlychaotic Tue 06-Nov-12 23:29:17

try childcare.co.uk, whereabouts are you?

sausagesandwich34 Tue 06-Nov-12 23:29:25

can you not go to the passport office/embassy (not sure where you are or nationality) and get a passport rather than leave DC with a complete stranger for a full weekend?

LoveStruck Tue 06-Nov-12 23:43:18

It takes a week to apply for a first child passport, I wouldn't receive it in time. I would also need our GP to sign the application but can't get an appointment until next wednesday! I would love to take him with me, but unfortunately it's not a possibility this time! I live in central London, but will be willing to travel (within reasonable distance). I would be looking for childcare after this too, but on a more normal basis. I have posted on childcare.co.uk so waiting for responses. I'll pm you now Misssss & jomorgan.

LoveStruck Tue 06-Nov-12 23:45:09

Msssss just seen that you live in Manchester... Might be a bit beyond my reasonable distance.

wkendnanny Wed 07-Nov-12 00:19:28

Hi LoveStruck

I'm a nanny in London, I do occasional weekend cover and could probably help you out (one of my current charges is a 15 month old boy so very current experience in that area!). PM me if you're still looking smile

AngelNanny Wed 07-Nov-12 01:36:57

Your 14month old Ds can stay with me and my 14month old ds for the weekend. I have childcare qualification, references etc.

its not only GP who can sign passports its nurses, health visitors, teachers, pastors, vicars, police offices, fireman - and many many more its worded something like an upstanding member of the community - obv not those words but something like that.

I have signed many as a childrens nurse for friends and friends children but more reluctant to sign now as have to give own passport number.

Childcare wise a proxy parent is what you will need to come to your home and care for your little one and will cost £150-£200 per 24hrs gross.

You could see if a local childminder would have him at thier home if they are registered for overnight care not sure what going rate is but guessing around £125-£150 per 24hrs in London.

If child is cared for in someones home (ie not your own home) then make sure they are fully registered and insured to care for children in their own home,

forevergreek Thu 08-Nov-12 13:48:47

If you go to the passport office if can be done there and then and signed by many people. Teacher/ police/ doctor/ etc

mojenko310585 Fri 09-Nov-12 12:31:04

hello...if you like i could help you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now