Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice needed from parents and nannies

(9 Posts)
nanny87 Mon 05-Nov-12 19:54:47

Hi just wanted to ask your opinion. I work as a nanny been in my current position since the start of the year but have found the position really hard, havent enjoyed it on a whole not completely enjoyed looking after the child. So now im thinking of other options and considering leaving some time after the near year. so i would of been in my current job around a year give or take. So just wondering when looking for jobs now parents will obviously ask why im leaving after quite a short period of time. Just wondering what the best response would be.
Thanks

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 05-Nov-12 20:06:05

Why haven't you enjoyed the job?

What is it you don't like about looking after the child?

How long have you been in other jobs?

nanny87 Mon 05-Nov-12 20:14:19

Thanks for the reply. I have 8years plus experience/qualifications to back myself up so on that side of it im not to concerned. But obviously parents will question why im leaving after such a short time. Its hard to pin point without sounding like an evil cow probably. But i haven't 100%bonded with the child even after being there for so many months full time. It sounds silly but he is a very whingy grumpy child 9times out 10 so find hard to be enthusiastic in this job.

JugglingChaotically Mon 05-Nov-12 20:14:39

I would tell the truth in interview as to why you are leaving but tactfully.
But have you spoken to the parents to give them a chance to fix it? Feedback is two way and it can be easier to fix a current role.
I know I would be horrified and really rather upset if my current nanny left having given me no chance to fix things or even discuss them.
An honest conversation would help your reference too - if I interviewed a nanny who had left her previous role after only one year, it would definitely be one of my questions when I checked references.

nanny87 Mon 05-Nov-12 20:26:39

I guess i have some thinking to do...I guess speaking to the parents would be a good idea. But as far as i can see as there is not a particular thing that on their part they could do to improve the situation as such it will be quite a hard conversation. But thanks for the advice so far

JugglingChaotically Mon 05-Nov-12 20:33:04

This will sound funny but I had a terrible shock when DD2 was just under a year and my nanny said she couldn't cope with her as she couldn't even go to the loo without her objecting.
I was horrified as we were all v fond of our nanny who had been with us for over 2 years. I told her that I alway said where I was going - she laughed and said she'd try it. It worked! By the time she finally left a long time after and only as we were going overseas she and my Dd2 got on fabulously. They still do years later!
Good luck with whatever you decide.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 05-Nov-12 20:39:20

How old is the child?

What are the parents like to talk to?

minderjinx Mon 05-Nov-12 20:54:35

It is not going to help much to tell the parents their child is whingy and grumpy unless you have an idea why this is and want them to do something about it for which you need their permission or action from them. If for example he was whingy with you because his parents spoilt him, then there would be some point in discussing the need for consistency. Similarly if you felt that they kept him up too late meaning he was always overtired for you. But if you just don't really like him very much, what can they do (except quite possibly be quite upset or angry with you)? And of course if he senses that you are not keen on him, he may well be "playing up" for you. I think it would be more constructive and more rewarding for you to make a really determined effort to pinpoint what situations make him more grumpy and what things you can do to lift his mood, and try to turn this around.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 05-Nov-12 21:33:46

why is child wingy and is it the parents spoil/do things different

seems a silly reason to leave a job if that all it is

try talking to the parents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now