Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cost of being Ofsted registered

(19 Posts)
sagalsmith Mon 05-Nov-12 14:59:55

What would you say is the total cost year on year of being Ofsted registered for a home childminder- ie reg fee, renewal certs etc. I'm looking at how it would increase employability as it is more desirable to potential employers ie childcare vouchers etc?

nannynick Mon 05-Nov-12 15:06:47

Home childminder?
Are you a nanny? Perhaps you mean Home Childcarer.

What quals/certificates do you have already?

fraktion Mon 05-Nov-12 15:09:40

Well it's £103 for the registration fee and that's the only thing that is on top.

Employers will want you to have first aid and insurance anyway, a qualification/core skills if you don't have one is a one off fee and that would make you more employable anyway so worth the investment even without registering. Possibly a slight uplift (£20ish) for an approved course/travel to one but all 12 hour and many 6 hour courses are approved anyway.

I'd have a nose around ads in your area and see how many specify a registered nanny.

sagalsmith Tue 06-Nov-12 11:09:07

Sorry- I meant home childcarer (in employer's home).
Is it necessary to renew the first aid and insurance every year? In which case it will be £103 ++ every year? I've been looking at forms and it seems to be a requirement but they don't ask for it at renewal.

nannynick Tue 06-Nov-12 11:16:38

Insurance is yearly. First aid is every 3 years.

nannynick Tue 06-Nov-12 11:20:33

If you budget £200 per year that should cover it. Then another £100-150 every 3 years for first aid. Plus then any childcare/common core training needed.

sagalsmith Wed 07-Nov-12 10:55:58

Thank you. That was very helpful. It was all getting a little confusing...

lechatnoir Wed 07-Nov-12 12:20:46

In addition to annual cost there is setting up & other incidentals that can soon add up - I've had to get a new household insurance policy which is £100 a year more than my old policy, cost of advertising (£90 a year for, flyers & business cards cost me £50) getting in equipment if you don't already have it (I don't have any if my baby stuff anymore so have had to buy stair gates, door catches, fire blanket, travel cot, monitor, first aid kit, high chair, travel cot & younger toys albeit mostly second hand) and traded in my little car for a 7 seater so extra cost of buying/tax/insurance etc.

nannynick Wed 07-Nov-12 13:19:29

They would not need those things as they are a nanny providing care in the childs home, not a childminder.

lechatnoir Wed 07-Nov-12 13:38:46

Ahh sorry OP I clearly didn't read the original message properly!!

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Wed 07-Nov-12 14:27:07

You may find your employers willing to pay the annual renewal fee. I don't know any nannies who pay for their own Oftsed registration. First Aid is hit and miss, last time I did mine we paid half each, some nannies I know pay for it themselves, others have it paid for them. The only cost you must pay yourself is insurance, this is about £60 a year.

HalloweenDuck Sat 10-Nov-12 16:33:26

Well i am in the process of doing this at the minute, it has cost me £103 to apply, £80 for the insurance, £100 plus £20 travel for first aid ( mine was over 3 years old),Had to take a common cores test £160, They then asked for my doctor to do docs report which the doc charged me £82. They have then asked for me to travel to london for a medical assessment, even though there is no charge for this ( that i am aware off) It will cost me about £30-£40 in petrol and food, plus will need to sort childcare out for that day. Even after all that there is no certainty that i will be sorted! So my total so far is nearly £550!! This has been a real struggle for us.

fraktion Sat 10-Nov-12 17:57:34

Medical assessment? Doctor's note?

That's a first for me.

nannynick Sat 10-Nov-12 18:30:11

HalloweenDuck - are you registering as a Childminder for Over 8's, or as a nanny?

Seems strange they are requesting a medical if you are a nanny.

HalloweenDuck Sat 10-Nov-12 19:09:59

I am a nanny, i had to have docs report and assesment as i have had anxiety in the past. i was not given medication but done a 12 week course. i am guessing they are just being cautious. ( I am also overweight and had a heart problem so 3 red flags as they put it)

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Sun 11-Nov-12 05:00:08

I've never heard of medical assessments or doctors notes either! I don't even remember a question on the form about being overweight or health problems or anything.

MrAnchovy Sun 11-Nov-12 11:49:10

HalloweenDuck are you sure you have completed the form correctly? There is no medical requirement for nannies, which are called "home childcarers" by Ofsted and can only register on Part II of the register, also known as the Voluntary Childcare Register.

HalloweenDuck Sun 11-Nov-12 22:21:47

I know i filled in the right section, i think it got flagged up as my ex's psycho wife got social services involved, as part of the standard check the ofsted contact children's services. ( whom have sign us off, thrown out case and have no problem with me working with children) But with what they accused me off, i had to have a psych assessment, ( which was fine, just recomended i do a course to help with anxiety which i completed and all signed off ok) So because of this they asked for a docs report and for me to go and see someone for a medical assessment. When i phoned up to ask why, i was told i had the 3 red flags, but i will trot along in 2 weeks and hopefully satsify all their needs.

MrAnchovy Mon 12-Nov-12 16:43:14

I understand, sorry to have brought this out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: