Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How to tell mindees parents to stop sending crap for their children to eat...witihout offending them!

(9 Posts)
woahthere Mon 05-Nov-12 13:31:15

I have given them the speech about our healthy eating policy, sent clear direction via e - mail about the kinds of food to send, and verbally advised that nappies may be because of needing more vegetables etc. But still.... Lunch today = mac cheese (packet type), dairylea dunkers, biscuits, yoghurt. On other days it has been the same or instead of mac cheese, brioche with a slice of processed cheese.
His nappies are like sludge, and Im not surprised because his food is basically sludge. Its not like he even particularly seems to like it. Is it an ok thing for me to say, I would like to make his lunches from now on, and say its to make things easier so the other children dont all have different things?

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Mon 05-Nov-12 13:40:48

It's their child, they can feed him what they want (within reason obv).

Saying that you will provide his lunches so that all the children eat the same/to make things easier sounds fine and shouldn't offend.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 05-Nov-12 13:42:29

Could u not use the " we ( the other mindees) r having spag Bol and broccoli today would * like to join us?" line.

Really feel for u it must he hard looking after children and seeing things u don't approve of. Fwiw i would struggle to watch a kid always get fed junk even though many would say its nothing to do with me.

Short of offering to provide the food I'm not sure that u will be able to change anythin sad

ZuleikaD Mon 05-Nov-12 14:38:10

I think if you want him to eat more healthily you'll have to take on the cost of feeding him. What are your fees? Would it affect your bottom line? You can claim for mindees' food of course so it's offsettable.

shesariver Mon 05-Nov-12 15:19:23

Whats wrong with yoghurts? I also agree with that if that's what they want their child to eat then thats that.

ZuleikaD Mon 05-Nov-12 16:01:12

The yogurt doesn't offset the Dairylea and the other processed cheese, or the biscuits. One healthy item does not a healthy lunch make.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 05-Nov-12 16:25:37

What about providing fruit and carrot sticks for snacks as like a designated snack time.

I think its lovely you care so much about the children that you are taking care of. smile

woahthere Mon 05-Nov-12 17:17:57

No of course not anything wrong with yoghurt! Nothing wrong with anything in moderation, its just that its all the same kind of food, none of it has any consistency or colour! I do provide a healthy snack, they have fruit or vegetables and something like breadsticks at morning snack and fruit, vegetables, crumpets or something like that for pm snack.

Ah well, reckon Ofsted would not be impressed if they saw it but maybe I will just have to sneakily swap it on the day they come!

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 05-Nov-12 20:02:56

It sounds like a really rubbish lunch box.
And all for convenience. Not something I'd send mine with.

Do you provide meals? I prefer to make everyone the same food, that way I can control the junk.

As Early Years practitioners it is part of our job, just like schools, pre-schools and nurseries to provide guidance on lunch boxes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now