Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Urgently seeking au pair, can anyone help?

(5 Posts)
Shapechanger Sat 03-Nov-12 17:02:41

I'm experienced at having au pairs and have girls aged 10 and 12. I'm a full-time student - and I mean REALLY full time - and I commute into London from a town in the Home Counties.

I have just separated from my husband and started living in a lovely house and am trying to get my daughters into a routine where dh and I share custody. He and I are not at war, and live close to each other. The kids are handling it really well and are their usual selves, thank goodness.

I've just had a nightmare with a girl I found on an au pair website. I had to send her home after four days. This makes me sound like Godzilla but I'm pretty tolerant. She seemed really, really depressed, hardly spoke and was painfully thin and didn't eat. I thought she probably had an eating disorder. Completely different from the breezy emails and totally out of her depth. I was kind and made a really good excuse but she had to go.

I'm now without childcare apart from the next week when my mum is staying. I need a new girl asap or I can't really have the kids living here properly and cope with work.

Does anybody know anyone who might be suitable? If so, I can PM with a lot more info about us.

Thanks!!

mamitou Sat 03-Nov-12 23:04:24

Sorry Shape, i can't be of much help. I could have writen your post. My au pair just terminate our contract after 2 weeks because she is home sick. I was really taken by surprise and i am panicking now as i am a full-time student (9am-5pm mon-fri) with two kids. I am a single mum with no involvement from ex. I found her on an aupair internet site as well. I am facing the same issue here: where can i find a good au pair?

SoldeInvierno Sun 04-Nov-12 07:52:13

have you thought of joining in Facebook the group called "aupair in London" and see if anyone is looking at changing families, or has a friend thinking of coming over?

iluvkids Sun 04-Nov-12 13:18:34

if either of you would consider a temp live in nanny (am happy with part time hrs) for a few weeks...to give you time to find a new au pair, do let me know...

I'm available from nov 16th

mamitou Sun 04-Nov-12 16:02:54

Thanks Solde, i will look into it.
I live in Manchester (Radcliffe) iluvkids, sorry i've not mentionned it in my previous post. I don't suppose you live around?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now