Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Interview today eeekkk HELP!!!!!

(19 Posts)
nannycaz Sat 03-Nov-12 11:26:21

Hello everyone. I have an interview this evening with a family that have twin babies who are 5 1/2 months old. I dont think I will get the position as I have no twin experience but want to give it my best shot as the position sounds lovely from what i no so far although that's not a lot. Rather nervous about the interview though as I have never experienced a proper interview for a job, I have always been really lucky and fell into jobs without a real interview.

Thanks smile

Leftwingharpie Sat 03-Nov-12 11:36:27

Presumably this family knows you don't have twin experience but have chosen to interview you anyway? So don't go in with a negative attitude! There's no reason why you shouldn't be a perfect fit. Presumably you have decent references and experience of caring for one child, so to a great extent the choice is going to come down to whether the family gels with you - also whether you can agree terms which suit everyone.

nannycaz Sat 03-Nov-12 11:43:42

I sent them my CV and they invited me for an interview. Im only young though so dont have loads of references i worked in a nursery for 3-4 years and will have been working as a nanny for 2 years next January. Really nervous about what questions I may get asked and whether i end up rabbling as im not used to being in an interview situation.

nannycaz Sat 03-Nov-12 11:49:16

what kind of wage do you think i should look at? Its 40 hours a week, but they had no wage advertised which she said she would discuss at interview?? The job involves both sole charge and shared charge.

nannynick Sat 03-Nov-12 13:19:48

Keep in mind that the parents have no twin experience either before they had twins. If you have been caring for children for a while and cared for 2 or more children at the same time, then that's experience that you can transfer to looking after twins. At nursery you will have been caring for 3 or more children at the same time, so again that's experience which can be useful.

Just be yourself and see how it goes.

Make sure you discuss salary (personally, I won't go for an interview before knowing the salary or at least a salary range) and make sure you discuss it on the same terms, Gross salary / Net Salary. At nursery you will have been used to being paid a Gross salary - it's best in my view to discuss salary as Gross, then the employer can work out what it will cost them (Gross salary + Employers NI).

Selks Sat 03-Nov-12 13:25:09

General interview tips that might help
- Be on time and well turned out / smartly dressed
- Don't forget to mention all aspects of your skills and experience
- If you think you are particularly good at something don't feel shy to mention it
- Be enthusiastic and positive
- Smile and make good eye contact (but don't stare them out grin)
- AND - paradoxically - relax and be yourself!
- Don't forget to ask any questions you want about the post - make a list before hand
Hope it goes well!

Leftwingharpie Sat 03-Nov-12 13:52:13

If you've done nursery as well, you'll have tonnes of experience of balancing the needs of more than one same age child in addition to any nannying you've done for two or more different ages. You have references to cover 5-6 years, that's wonderful. And it's generally better to have done significant stints of time, rather than lots of different jobs. Everyone worries about disruption if the person they choose doesn't stay the distance.

I don't know about fees for twins. Hope someone comes along with some suggestions for you. I hope it goes well!

nannycaz Sat 03-Nov-12 14:00:50

I did want to discuss salary before hand but they said that had not made up there mind exactly, But i liked the sound of the job and its only a ten minute drive away so thought I would see anyway. Fingers crossed it goes well, i think they have had a lot put forward though through an agency, where as i found the add on childcare.co.uk

WindyAnna Sat 03-Nov-12 15:13:43

Hello

A few tips from me as someone who has done hundreds of interviews at work and quite a few nanny interviews as a parent ...

- Don't worry about rambling, as long as you are being yourself and talking about the subject it really doesn't matter - just make sure you answer the question somewhere in there!

- If the babies are there make sure you interact with them - if they aren't around ask lots of questions about them - I have rejected more than one nanny who seemed nice and competent but showed no interest in my daughter!

- Have some pre-prepared questions to ask - not just about the nuts and bolts of the job (time, salary etc) but also about what things the twins like, if there are any activities they already do, any extended family you may need to interact with (grandparents, children from previous relationships etc.)

Good luck let us know how you get on!

Windy

nannynick Sat 03-Nov-12 17:45:25

How did the interview go?

nannycaz Sat 03-Nov-12 18:33:24

Hello all, the interview went really well, although i was rather nervous as it was the parent and the current maternity nurse interviewing me. Although she still has not confirmed what she is wanting to pay but asked what wage im looking for, they are looking for more of a mothers help though i learned so she probably wont be looking at the rate im after. Just writing an email to her now to say thankyou for meeting me, any advice on what to put in it?

Leftwingharpie Sun 04-Nov-12 07:09:40

Pleased it went well nannycaz. Even if you decide it's not suitable for you, the interview practice will give you loads of confidence next time.

nannycaz Mon 05-Nov-12 20:11:53

Right what do i do next lol... i have a trial day with the family and maternity nurse on the 19th of november. I have never done a trial day before and will be soooo nervous. Am i supposed to follow there direction or have ideas to do?? Im not actually sure if the job is for me, but they was lovely so would like to give the trial day a go. the only reason im not sure if it will work or not is the hours are 7 am till 7 pm monday to friday. They did want 6 days but i wouldnt be able to do that for 6 days. But she also said partner is sometimes home late so may need to stay few more hours sometimes or maybe even over night? although the job sounds fab im also on a uni course so dont no if i can manage it all. Would i be taking on to much and what kind of wage would you expect. Its east midlands with twins both sole and shared care

botandhothered Mon 05-Nov-12 21:05:07

At 7 pounds an hour gross it's going to be 600 gross a week. I would ask for maybe 10 as overtime rate, to discourage them taking advantage. Maybe 30 pounds for a sleep over depending on them sleeping through the night. That is a hell of alot of hours. How many hours do you need to study each week? Do you have a qualification?

botandhothered Mon 05-Nov-12 21:06:43

I take it is a live out position?

nannycaz Mon 05-Nov-12 21:09:46

how will £7 gross make £600 gross a week on a 60 hour week?
Yes i have my level 5 ba honours degree in early childhood, im now doing my level 6 which can pretty much be done in my own time, but it means i would not be able to go to any lectures etc due to the times..... Dont think I will get the job now though, the husband just emailed me asking me to contact his wife if i like his job advert so i can have an interview.... i had the interview on saturday lol

nannycaz Mon 05-Nov-12 21:11:01

Yes live out

botandhothered Mon 05-Nov-12 21:27:21

Well, clearly you can count...unlike me..!! So with your qualifications, 600 a week sounds reasonable for your area ie 10 pounds an hour! Hope I got that right?
Act daft and ignore the husband, go for it if you want it!

nannycaz Mon 05-Nov-12 21:29:43

lol thats ok i havent slept much at mo was unsure if i was going bonkers and messing my calculations up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now