Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

INSET DAY on monday and Child Care has fallen through Help please

(12 Posts)
Serendipity30 Fri 02-Nov-12 22:17:31

I am slightly panicky, I have juSt started a new job, had childcare planned for half term and school inset day this Monday only for it to fall through, it would look really bad if i did not attend work on Monday. Have no friends and family available to look after 8 year old DD. Has anyone got any ideas what i should do? I live in the Herne hill area, south London. What to do? Any ideas welcome

Madelinesnotapumpkinanymore Fri 02-Nov-12 22:25:36

Any chance of taking them in with you? Even the offer to would make me realise as an employer that you're willing! No friends from school that could have him? (Or her).

Pinner35 Fri 02-Nov-12 22:27:23

Ring round local cm's......you may find one that can help you out just for one day. I am a CM and would have no problem with this.

Madelinesnotapumpkinanymore Fri 02-Nov-12 22:30:25

Me too - and me either grin but I'm not local sadly. Your council website might have an info page

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 02-Nov-12 22:30:46

Where do you live / work? There may be childminders willing and able to care for your child for the day!

If that fails, how about asking a HUGE favour from a parent of a friend of your child's?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 02-Nov-12 22:32:17

SORRY!! reread your post. I used to live in Herne Hill before I was a childminder - that's no help, is it?

forevergreek Sat 03-Nov-12 10:53:19

What about a class for the day ( dance/ football/ drama etc)? Most do min 10-4, but usually 8-6pm. Even if the less time maybe you could take her to work with you for an hour or so, then drop of during a break, and ask to work through lunch to finish early?

minderjinx Sat 03-Nov-12 11:59:26

Could her father take the day off? Failing that you could try emergencychildcare.co.uk.

EdithWeston Sat 03-Nov-12 12:19:00

As you're in London, then getting a temp nanny for the day through an agency will be possible but £££s

I doubt there will be classes running (sorry) as half term will be over everywhere by Monday.

I think the best thing might be to take a deep breath and cold call the parents of DD's friends and explain your predicament. Scary prospect if you don't know them at all, but if their DCs are at home, having a friend for the day might be something they would contemplate (I quite like having extra children around, stops mine attempting to murder each other), or they might know of other local options.

iwantavuvezela Sat 03-Nov-12 12:23:41

Try the east dulwich forum ..... There are quite a few nannies and emergency babysitters etc that advertise on there ..... Look under family discussion

SuperDuperJezebel Sat 03-Nov-12 16:58:32

I know someone who might be able to help, let me know and I can give her a call if you like?

SuperDuperJezebel Sat 03-Nov-12 16:59:48

Sorry meant to say shes a nanny, and also lives in Herne Hill, and from what I remember doesnt work mondays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now