Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

4 year olds climbing trees. Is it allowed?

(11 Posts)
bitofanovice Fri 02-Nov-12 17:44:34

I am doing my CYPOP5, and need to let my assessor know if i'd allow a 4 year old to climb a tree, and how i could minimize the risk. I amreally stuck on what to put. Any input would be great. Thanks.

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 02-Nov-12 17:56:40

I don't know. But am coming on to find out the answer! How interesting.

As a parent I would'n't mind my 4 year old being allowed to do that but only under close supervision....and lower branches only.

LingDiLong Fri 02-Nov-12 18:13:36

No idea what the 'official' answer is but I'd let them climb a tree with wide strong branches but no higher than my own height so I can easily lift them down if they get stuck. They'd have to have shoes with grips on too. I guess it would also depend on the 4 year old - their ability to climb and their ability to listen when you tell them to stop!

Italiana Fri 02-Nov-12 18:18:44

You may get inspiration from Tim Gill...he advocates risk taking and allowing children freedom rather than wrap in cotton wool
I heard him speak and found him inspirational
He is a consultant, researcher and author

rethinkingchildhood.com/about/

In the current issue of Nursery World he also has an article 'How can we let go?' interesting but sorry I have not got the link to that...you may find it on NW website also lots of articles on the subject in EYE
Hope it helps

HSMM Fri 02-Nov-12 19:17:19

My 1 and 2 yr old mindees climb trees. Like LingDiLong said, I try to keep them within reach.

bitofanovice Fri 02-Nov-12 19:28:32

Thanks for replies. I think i would allow a 4 year old to climb (i let my own children!), but risk assess along the lines of what LingDiLong said. Possibly get parental consent too. Any more views welcomed.

jade80 Fri 02-Nov-12 19:30:07

May depend if you are insured for it. I am but it is specifically stated on the insurance details and only up to 7ft I think.

mogandme Fri 02-Nov-12 19:35:20

I am a nanny - but I allow a 4 year old to climb a tree - if it has sturdy branches, and they don't climb too high - I need to be able to carry them down if needs be grin However it depends on the 4 year old - are they physically able, will they listen to instruction to get down etc, will they be content with just climbing etc.

Scarfmaker Mon 05-Nov-12 00:13:44

Don't know what a CYPOP is but I can't believe that is a question and if it is, why are you stuck on an answer?

I look after a 2.3 year old who would be capable of climbing a small tree so I would definitely let a 4 year climb one a large one without any help!

I've looked after 3/4 years old who wanted to/could climb a tree in the local park and my own 3 teenagers did this regularly.

Sorry but I think it is 'risk assessing' too much.

fedupwithdeployment Wed 07-Nov-12 16:11:01

Try and stop my 5yo!!!

He is alarmingly good. And goes higher than I am comfortable with.

He did get a huge bollocking last summer from a lady in Italy (I didn't understand it all) for trying to climb a small olive tree. Pretty sure she was worried about him damaging the tree, not himself.

bitsofmeworkjustfine Wed 07-Nov-12 21:16:06

my dd's first day of SCHOOL, when she was 4 came home with a bump note, she fell out of a tree!

I was chuffed that she was allowed to climb the tree in the first place!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now