Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Talk to me about Nannies

(4 Posts)
Clumsasaurus Wed 31-Oct-12 13:53:43

I am clueless!

We have decided that a nanny is the best option for our DS when I return to work next summer (planning ahead!) I know nothing about it at all:

What sort of hourly rate would I pay (London)
What do I need to provide at home - food etc? (it would be live out)
I understand I need to be their employer - where cani find info on tax, NI, holiday and sickness pay?
Do they have to take their holiday when we take ours?
What a the chances of finding a nanny prepared to work part time (hoping for a p/t return)
Are agencies a good option or an expensive sifting process?

What have I forgotten to consider?!

fraktion Wed 31-Oct-12 16:02:19

The guides on this site are helpful summaries, although the guidance is necessarily general.

What sort of hourly rate would I pay (London) This depends where in London (zone 1 is more expensive than zone 6, west is often more expensive than east) and how qualified/experienced the nanny is. £10gross/hour minimum, £13gross is more realistic, top candidates will be £15/16gross

What do I need to provide at home - food etc? (it would be live out) Food, heating, lighting etc but nanny should eat roughly what your DS does. A small kitty for activities/emergency bread and milk. Not quite at home but you will need to consider whether you pay for a car/oyster card or whether everything is walkable.

I understand I need to be their employer - where cani find info on tax, NI, holiday and sickness pay? A payroll company is probably a good summary. Although HMRC will have the best info on tax, it's not always the most accessibly written! Nannytax are expensive but have a pretty comprehensive website. As your nanny will be PT remember to negotiate a gross wage. Holiday is 5.6 weeks, pro rata for a PT employee.

Do they have to take their holiday when we take ours? Generally it's Bank Holidays off, leaving 4 weeks of which 2 get chosen by the nanny and 2 by you. If you take more holiday then you will still need to pay your nanny although some people have their nanny batch cook or dirt through toys.

What a the chances of finding a nanny prepared to work part time (hoping for a p/t return) Quite good! But it does depend on your days.

Are agencies a good option or an expensive sifting process? I personally think they're an expensive sifting process but it depends how confident you are about what you're looking for in a nanny and how well you can stick to your guns so you can narrow your pool of candidates according to your initial requirements.

What have I forgotten to consider?! Have you thought about the possibility of a nanny share? Would you accept a nanny with their own child? Would you want to claim childcare vouchers, thus needing an OFSTED reg nanny? What kind of lead in/settling time do you want to have?

Clumsasaurus Wed 31-Oct-12 18:55:45

Thank you so much fraktion that's amazing! Time to start my homework I think!

nannynick Wed 31-Oct-12 19:47:53

Why do you feel a nanny is your best option?
Your reasons for wanting a nanny will make up probably a large part of the job description. So think about your reasons for wanting a nanny, make a list of the things so you can then give job applicants an understanding of what you are wanting from your ideal nanny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now