Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

dont know what to do

(8 Posts)
mojenko310585 Tue 30-Oct-12 15:35:27

Hellooo.....I found a lovely nannyshare job in London and feel this is the right position for me.....I was invited for second interview and feel so happy.
My only concern is that the pay is not what i expected.They offer me 500 for aproximetly 50hours of work.40hours of nannyshare and 10hours of just one child.They said it may be even less hours sometimes but they will still pay 500.or if one of them go on holiday and I stay with other one still 500.I worked for one family for 44 hours and got the same pay.Plus Friday in other one for 10 hours.This is the nannyshare so should be paid a bit better.The rate in area for nannyshare is 11=12pound.
Im just so scared to push my luck and ask them if they could do it 550 or 530.....I really like the job but if I accept it is mean I would get 150pound less that I used to get in previous job.I dont want to get silly again and accept it just cos I really like the first impresion of them......

Do you think I should ask for more?Or should be happy with what they offer me...

nannynick Tue 30-Oct-12 16:55:26

Its 150 less than your previous job but its 500 less if you have no job at all (excluding benefits such as JSA).

Are you all taking Gross salary or Net or a combination such as you think Net they think Gross.

What about travel costs to/from work and travel time? Are those things that should be taken into account?

fraktion Tue 30-Oct-12 16:59:16

I wouldn't go by previous salaries with the market as it is. I fully expect nannytax's survey to show that salaries have deflated slightly.

Agree with nick that it's £500 more than no job at all.

PhyllisDoris Tue 30-Oct-12 16:59:33

If you can give concrete evidence that the going rate for similar jobs is higher than what you've been offered, then you can have a discussion with the employers.
However, before you do, think carefully about whether you'd turn down the job if the money isn't what you want. Job happiness is worth sacrificing a few £££ IMO.
It might be better to first prove yourself indespendible THEN negotiate a pay rise. But negotiate, don't demand. Offer something in return for the extra £££.

ZuleikaD Wed 31-Oct-12 06:13:04

I'd always negotiate before accepting a new job - one reason there's a pay gap between men and women is that women don't ask to be paid more! Have they actually offered you the job? If so I'd say that yes, you're very keen and would love to work for them, but you were looking for a slightly higher salary - is there anything they can do? If not, then perhaps you could get an extra day or two paid holiday per year or something.

forevergreek Wed 31-Oct-12 07:14:46

I would quote a higher figure. But i suppose that depends on what you already agreed with

StillSquiffy Wed 31-Oct-12 14:00:24

TBH I think the market really has turned. There are a lot more nannies chasing a lot fewer jobs. I expect salaries to be heading down accordingly.

I've had the same nanny for years so haven't looked at the local nanny market where I live, but I also have an au pair and am advertising at the moment - I've been swamped with applications at a far higher calibre than usual - maybe 10 times the usual number of applicants.

forevergreek Thu 01-Nov-12 10:39:55

That's funny squiffy, as a nanny ( have been with same employer many years and No need to look right now), I still am getting many emails/ texts and calls from agencies with families who haven't enough nannies on their books ( and I haven't even spoke to agencies for years). They still ask every 18 months or so for an updated cv for records.

I think there is maybe a lack of experienced/ qualified nannies maybe instead of just nannies in general

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now