Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Some general questions (cm's)

(12 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Sat 27-Oct-12 20:15:58

I have been cm for over four years.

1. I have never claimed for using my mobile or home phone for calls or texts made. I use my mobile to send texts to my parents and I also make calls when necessary. My husband pays both bills. can I still claim as an expence as its coming from my household or have I got to pay it myself?

2. Do you provide towels for all your cm kids? do you wash them daily or do you use paper towels? I do quiet a bit of washing for my family and I really do not want to add to this by providing everyone with their own towels. Any ideas.

3. Do you still do Policies and procedures? Is it true you do not have to do them any more?

4. How are you getting on with your two year old check? Just done mine.

Still waiting for Ofsted.

apotomak Sat 27-Oct-12 20:58:02

1. I claim a percentage of my phone bill. Don't know about backdating if you haven't claimed. You'd need to check that.
2. I use Ikeas facecloths. I bought suction hooks and each mindee has their own. As the towels are not big I throw them in with my washing. It works for me.
3. We still need Policies and Procedures. It's Risk Assesments that we no longer have to put in writing (I still do).
4. Not done mine. I'm waiting to hear from mums they have the appointment booked with health visitor ... otherwise it may be out of date.

MUM2BLESS Sat 27-Oct-12 21:17:27

Nice one apotomak. Thanks!!

ZuleikaD Sun 28-Oct-12 06:20:19

1. If you don't pay your phone bill then you can't claim for it. Legally.
2. I also have separate washcloths for each mindee. They know their own colour and I wash them every couple of days. They're too small for handwashing after the toilet at the moment so I don't have separate towels.
3. We still need policies and procedures, in fact now you need ones that cover mobile phones.
4. Not relevant for me.

minderjinx Sun 28-Oct-12 08:39:50

I would say that you could claim the part of the phone bill that is business - related, regardless of whether you pay it or whether your husband does. If we were out somewhere and I saw a toy or a book that I wanted to buy and my husband paid out of the cash in his pocket, I wouldn't then be saying that's his toy, not mine, would I? Besides, regardless of who actually pays, who is to say that you wouldn't/didn't reimburse your husband for money he paid out on your account?

ZuleikaD Sun 28-Oct-12 09:29:24

In theory you would need to be able to demonstrate that at some point you paid for it, if it's to count as expenses against your gross profit. So if you reimbursed your husband then you would need some paperwork to demonstrate that. However, in reality you're unlikely ever to have to prove it. That's why I added 'legally' to my first answer.

HSMM Sun 28-Oct-12 09:59:49

1. I used to claim for each call and text when I had an itemised phone bill and I'msure iI could claim a percentage of my contract now, but I haven't quite got round to working it out yet.

2. I bought cheap flannels to use as towels.

3. I have all my policies and procedures updated with the new framework.

4. I am carrying on with my termly assessments, which I have always encouraged parents to take with them to their health visitor (etc) checks.

MUM2BLESS Sun 28-Oct-12 21:25:48

Thanks for your comments smile

1. Not all your bills come in paper form, what do you do then?
2. I like the idea of purchasing flannels for drying hands. I may use a towel for the little one who is with me all day.
3. I will look at updating my p and p. (most of the time my parents wait outside and dont actually come inside ie use of mobiles)
4. Even though I have done my two year old check (yip pee!!) I may do something simular each term.

ZuleikaD Mon 29-Oct-12 08:27:53

3. All your parents should really have been sent your revised p&ps from the new EYFS and for safety should send you a receipt saying they accept them.

MUM2BLESS Mon 29-Oct-12 18:47:12

Excuse me for asking what do I need to put into my P and P re new EYFS? Thanks

Italiana Mon 29-Oct-12 21:45:20

1. You are entitled to claim both mobile and landline costs...you are mad not to.. every penny helps and adds up
2. In the past each child needed his/her towel (I know c/ms who were downgraded for not having them...it was something c/ms resented as they felt it was like a nursery...my children like them) now I really do not know what Ofsted expect. It does not cost anymore to put extra towels in the wash
3. you need P&P unless you want to explain each one to the inspector...saves time at inspections...so I am told
4. 2 yo check starts when child is 2 (formative) and ends with summative when you and parents decide usually because mum has an appointment for the health check just before 3
It should show the progress made in 3 Prime areas higlighting emerging, expected and exceeding skills and any problems you feel are there: speech or additional needs

mind you mum does not have to share with health visitor if she does not want to...(this chages in 2014 when new rules come in, look in Foundation years website for recent update )

Even if you do not have 2 yo the inspector will want to see how you propose to do this check....have done 2 training sessions..both said the same so hope this helps...just done a summative progress check today...took ages!

MrAnchovy Tue 30-Oct-12 02:38:45

In order to claim any expense against your business income, you have to incur it*. So you need to reimburse your husband at least as much as you claim as a business expense. But of course he can give you the money straight back grin

* ...and before anyone says 'what about wear and tear allowance', you are deemed to incur that cost due to the actual wear and tear of your household furnishings, the 10% represents an approximation on a basis pre-agreed with HMRC of that cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now