Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pairs - up to what age do your DCs need one?

(5 Posts)
Ginda Sat 27-Oct-12 17:48:58

I am looking at getting an au pair next year for the DCs, who will be 11 and 9 at the time. I am a single parent working full time and I anticipate that the au pair will have sole charge of the DCs after school till about 6.30pm.

I am expecting to need an au pair for at least 2 or 3 years but am wondering at what age other mums decide their DCs no longer need one? I know that there is no legal age at which it's ok to leave your DCs at home alone.

Am happy to pay for an au pair for as long as needed, but I imagine a lot of au pairs would not find a job where the oldest child is, say, 14 (so not much younger than the au pair) very appealing.

Just interested to know what other mums with full time jobs do as the DCs get older.

JaneFonda Sat 27-Oct-12 18:58:37

I know someone who's 16 year old daughter has an au pair - obviously not for childcare, but because she is really helpful with language learning, and also she does an hour or so of cleaning each day which just helps keep on top of things.

Ginda Sat 27-Oct-12 22:14:47

That's interesting JaneFonda, thank you.

forevergreek Sun 28-Oct-12 16:57:28

Yes if you get an aupair always from one country then they can be a great help with language learning.

I would say around 15 but depending if younger siblings

As long as you explain the role isn't really ' childcare' as such but being around and helping out then should be fine.

They can help with dinner and homework/ driving places/ etc..

Max 5 hours a day, no major cleaning ( will clear up dishes/ kitchen etc after cooking, maybe run Hoover around, but shouldn't be scrubbing the bathroom clean or doing households washing)

chloeb2002 Tue 30-Oct-12 21:20:52

I was wondering the same thing recently.. but i decided that as we have a big age gap.. 10 years over 4 children, although the when oldest will be 15 the youngest will only be 5. I also figure that eldest dc will have lots of after school stuff that she wont be able to drive to, and even when she can drive then she will not want to take other dc with her so I will need two old enough to stay home or change my job to work mostly school hours or nights.. Both an option in the future. It may be easier just to keep on ap even when dc are a bit older!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now