Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

C/ms Ofsted registration fee

(11 Posts)
Italiana Thu 25-Oct-12 23:18:53

Today I received the demand to pay my registration fee to Ofsted
as a c/m my fee is £35 for the Early Years Register (EYR) but would be £103 or £114 if I were on the Childcare Register(CR) only

Why do c/ms who registered before 2008 pay so little compared to those registered after 2008 whose fee is £220?

Considering that the cost of c/ms registration and inspection has started the whole thing about deregulation as we are too expensive to Ofsted can we justify this low fee and why was it set so low?

wishiwasonholiday Fri 26-Oct-12 05:50:34

I registered in 2010 and only paid £35 I'm on both registers though, my friend who is a nanny pays just over £100 a year.

Tanith Fri 26-Oct-12 07:59:37

When OFSTED proposed raising the registration fee from £12 (or was it £14?) a few years ago, there was uproar. Fees suggested were £100+

It came at a time that childminders were leaving in droves: some because of the increased demands in paperwork, but a lot because they couldn't fill places and couldn't afford to carry on. After school clubs, breakfast clubs and childrens centres were offering massively subsidised places and childminder businesses were affected.
There was a fear that such a huge increase in the registration fee would just add to the haemorrhage of good childminders.

You have to remember that some childminders are competing against cheap illegal care at very low prices. Others don't work full time, maybe just for a few days, or a few hours a day. A lot are struggling now to fill their places.
Increasing the fee to £220 impacts their meagre profit to the point where it just doesn't make business sense to keep going.
That impacts families who want the service a registered childminder offers; those who want good quality home-from-home care at a price they can afford. Either they have the higher charge passed on to them through a fee increase, or their childcare folds.

You may be in a position to afford such an increase. For others, who offer an equally excellent service on a low income, it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Italiana Fri 26-Oct-12 10:30:29

I was merely asking for opinions...is it worth the risk of going under an agency for the sake of a cheaper registration fee?
C/ms do earn as many look after more than 1 child...we must start to distinguish betwee those who want to limit their practice for whatever reasons against those that work and run effective businesses

As for 'illegal' childcare that will be increasing soon...hope I am wrong..whose job is it to stop it as it is illegal?

C/ms did not leave because our registration rose to £35 and while ours has remained so low for nannies and others it has increased
Who negotiated this low fee for c/ms and can it be sustained?
Many many c/ms have expressed the wish to be considered equal to other providers...we seem to be making the case all the time for those who want to work limited hours and not earn much?

NickNacks Fri 26-Oct-12 10:46:04

You've not read it carefully enough.

I reg'd in 2009 and paid £35 also. It's a table with many variables and CMs on all 3 registers pay £35.

Italiana Fri 26-Oct-12 11:34:38

I did mention the dates on my initial post and also mention the variables
I registered in 2001 and pay the same as those registered after 2008...why the need to mention the registration date if all pay the same?

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 26-Oct-12 11:42:59

I was registered in 2011 and pay £35.

I don't want to pay more why would I?

You maybe making loads but some of us aren't. Not because we aren't trying either!

An increased fee might be more acceptable if it was a direct debit paid monthly.

Italiana Fri 26-Oct-12 15:11:36

No I am a c/m too...I don't earn loads but want to carry on what I am doing without the threat of an agency who will charge a fee

Why do nurseries pay £220 and a nanny £103?...I was inviting comments and yes direct debit would help ...looking at my papers there is a DD mandate included

nannynick Fri 26-Oct-12 15:34:53

Nurseries provide more childcare places but it can vary 16 to over 100. Maybe registration fee should be based on number of childcare places being provided, so more in direct proportion to providers potential turnover.

LesbianMummy1 Fri 26-Oct-12 18:27:45

Italiana the NCMA secured the lower fee after a long campaign. The 2008 date is the date the eyfs was first released and the fees changed for other providers then

Italiana Sat 27-Oct-12 08:44:46

Do you feel that at this time the lower fee for c/ms is sutainable?
When the EYFS came out in 2008 many c/ms said they now felt equal to other providers and recognized within the sector...so if equal why the 'exception' for a lower fee

Remember that Sir Michael Wilshaw last summer started by saying that c/ms are too expensive to register and inspect especially when only 1 or 2 kids present? Nursery World followed by calculating the amount and apparently showing we cost too much
Is it still worth keeping this low registration now when we are being threatend with deregulation if one of the main problem is how much we cost? (this is one of Truss' huge worry...what we cost)

Like any other organization NCMA must review current practice so c/ms benefit from equality not stuck in the past

Nannynick suggests a fee based on c/ms numbers and potential turnover...should nurseries then have a much higher fee as they can have up to 150 children on roll and, as some nursery chains make millions, have a fee
reflecting their turnover?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now