Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Temp Nannies - Do you charge a cancellation fee?

(7 Posts)
Misssss Thu 25-Oct-12 19:38:07

I'm mildly annoyed at the moment and just want to see if I'm being unreasonable.

I do temporary work as a nanny during school holidays. For next week's half term a few families were interested in booking me but I agreed to go live in with a family for the week. Anyway the mum has just sent me a text that reads "dnt need u next wk, m8 is coming."

No apology or any appreciation that its now probably too late to find an alternative job for next week. I'm seriously out of pocket as a result.I'm contemplating sending her a text and asking for a cancellation fee. Would this be rude?

Thanks

nbee84 Thu 25-Oct-12 19:44:23

It wouldn't be rude, but considering the rudeness she's shown you in letting you down I seriously doubt you'll get any money out of her without a big struggle.

In future, draw up a contract for parents to sign when they book you, take a deposit and put a cancellation clause into it.

Misssss Thu 25-Oct-12 20:48:37

Thanks, I thought as much, I'm just a bit frustrated and needed to vent!

Does anyone need a temp nanny next week?!

juneybean Thu 25-Oct-12 20:50:03

I only do temp work for my agency, and any time it's been cancelled, I've been paid the full amount.

fraktion Thu 25-Oct-12 20:50:53

Absolutely charge a minimum fee. Next time I would also recommend a deposit (1 week, to be deducted from final invoice if preferred).

Terrible behaviour on her part - very inconsiderate.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Oct-12 21:32:02

I charge a minimum of 4hrs if a one day job

And 50% of booking if cancelled within 48hrs for week jobs

Always have a mini contract and I assume you don't one sad and from her attitude I doubt you will get any money sad

mrswishywashy Thu 25-Oct-12 21:43:19

Next time get a contract drawn up.

I'm a maternity nurse and I take a weeks deposit to be taken off last weeks work. I also have level of cancellation fees. For contracts shorter than a month I've it written in that if the client cancels the week before or during the contract period they have to pay me the whole contract fee. Eg if contract is for 4 weeks and they cancel at end of week one they owe me all four weeks.

Clients need to understand that you have bills to pay as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now