Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny after school and holidays - so hard to find; why!?

(17 Posts)
Ceejayes Thu 25-Oct-12 18:42:49

We live in a village with a great primary school but after school care is next to non-existent. DC is too young for the afterschool clubs and we both work full time and cant shift hours to work flexibly. The childminders are full and I've tried the nanny agencies. Any suggestions?

NickNacks Thu 25-Oct-12 18:44:08

Why are they two young for after school clubs? Are they in the nursery?

nannynick Thu 25-Oct-12 18:51:13

It can be hard to find all sorts of childcare in villages. In the village I work in, to my knpwledge there is one childminder and one nanny.

Before and After School care, then full time during holidays is not going to appeal to everyone... People may be looking for fulltime work.
If it was fulltime would you get applicants? Hard to know but it may mean people are prepared to travel to the village from nearby villages and town.

What do other parents in the village do about childcare?

wonkylegs Thu 25-Oct-12 19:03:13

To be honest I'm not surprised I really struggled to get a/s & holiday care for my DS who started reception in Sept and I'm in a big city.
I was seriously starting to panic when I got him in a private a/s club Mon-Thurs and a different one on a Friday. It's not ideal as I have to spend my day racing across town. No b/s club, can drop off at 8.45, race to work 10miles away across city centre, supposed to start at 9 - i have yet to get there on time since sept - work lunch to cover late am/early pm- leave work at 5.30, race back to pick up b4 6 or I get fined a lot. Tonight I made it with 1min to spare.
We are winging it for the holidays as we don't have enough leave to cover it + insets, illness etc. but I can't find a sensible alternative. Not one positive response for childminder or nanny. sad

nbee84 Thu 25-Oct-12 19:40:13

The answer to why is quite easy really - not many people can afford to only work 3-4 hours a day for 39 weeks of the year. There are very few jobs that are between school hours. It doesn't even fit in for someone that works in a playgroup or preschool as they would need to be at work for about 8.45 ready for when the children arrive. As already said, people in big towns and cities also struggle to find a nanny for before and after school and full time in holidays.

Ceejayes Thu 25-Oct-12 19:59:03

Thanks nannynic but most women in the village who did work have given up work to look after their children. Maybe its because I should split the job in to two; after-school care and then another job for the holidays. Is that where I'm going wrong?

Ceejayes Thu 25-Oct-12 20:05:30

wonkylegs - I have the same T-shirt! We did have a childminder when she was in Reception but she didnt work during holidays at all which pressurised us to figure out how to cover the holidays with leave - it was a nightmare in organisation and juggling.

mogandme Thu 25-Oct-12 20:18:38

I work before/after school no holiday cover. however if I hadn't been in full time employment first I wouldn't have chose it; it doesn't pay enough and I can't find anything else to fill the time.

bbcessex Thu 25-Oct-12 20:38:01

Hi there, I sympathise.

Have your tried advertising on Childcare.co.uk or similar, and state that you would consider a nanny with her own child? Those kind of part time hours often suit mums who would like their own day free most of the time.

Ceejayes Thu 25-Oct-12 20:50:22

Good idea for nanny with own child - would be happy to consider that.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Oct-12 21:35:33

As nbee said basically the hours don't pay enough for the average person to pay their bills

Some nannies are free during holidays if their family go away so worth putting an ad on netmums or gumtree or nannyjob

Good luck

bbcessex Thu 25-Oct-12 21:44:30

I think that may be worth a try.. as nbee says, it's not enough hours for a person really wanting a full time job, so try those interested in part time.. I've had 2 nannies with their own child, worked superbly when my children were little.

May even suit an older person too... proper 'nanny' figure!

Good luck - it is a huge stress to work and get good childcare, but in my experience has always worked out x

stella1w Thu 25-Oct-12 21:54:06

How about an au pair?

Dordeydoo Thu 25-Oct-12 21:58:06

Have you considered advertising for a nanny to start a couple of hours before school pick up. The couple of hours would allow them to do the typical nanny duties

DowagersHump Thu 25-Oct-12 22:02:24

I have a babysitter/trainee nanny who picks up my DS after school. She's 18, lives at home and is happy with 2-3 afternoons a week 3-6.

I found her through FindaBabysitter - didn't get anywhere with childcare.co.uk

Obviously it might be more tricky when you live in a village but it's free to advertise I think - you have to pay to read your messages.

Ceejayes Sat 27-Oct-12 14:32:15

Wow, thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Will try FindaBabysitter as my experience with childcare.co.uk was disappointing.

WindyAnna Mon 29-Oct-12 14:33:51

Have you thought of asking if there is another mum who would do it? You've said a lot of them have given up work because of the childcare issue so maybe you could help each other out - her looking after your DC and you helping her out with a bit of extra cash - chances are it will be below the declarable limit, certainly below taxable for limited hours so should be easy to manage?

I had problems finding someone to do similar but my hours are better as my DD is at private school so much longer holidays and I'm in a central location with lots of nannies about .... even so I struggled - have found NWOC now which is great but it has taken me since Easter and I have been by seat of my pants since last nanny left at start of this term!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now