Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Your last day as a nanny...

(7 Posts)
TwelveLeggedWalk Wed 24-Oct-12 17:06:10

My lovely nanny is leaving us <howl> and I don't know whether to make a fuss of her last day. I work from home so could do lunch out or something, but actually I don't know if that would be weird as a) she likes to be useful b) I'm not normally hanging around c) going out for lunch with our 2 is more of an endurance test than a treat!

I am also a bit concerned I might get embarrassingly snotty and start snivelling.

What would you like to do in those circs? The kids are both 1-1.5 years.

<sob>

BobbiFleckmann Wed 24-Oct-12 17:10:28

tell her to arrange an outing for her and the children to somewhere they like to go? she probably likes them more than she likes you ;-)
we made a picture based present (DC not us, she likes them more than us etc) and also gave her some vouchers and a card, plus a cracking reference.

catepilarr Wed 24-Oct-12 21:07:17

i think it is nice if something special/unusual is done on the last day, but it might be jsut me. like a lunch with the family, an outing or just a nice moment exchanging card and gifts. but then, i have always been a live in for relatively short period, more of an aupair relationship then a proper nanny employer employee one, so might be a bit different, dont know.

mogandme Wed 24-Oct-12 21:11:59

Last days have tended to be spent me and my charges with our friends saying goodbye to special friends.

However I have been made a fuss of with Bosses coming home earlier than usual ie 4.30 for a 5.30pm end of day and bringing flowers, gifts and spending the last hour having a chat/cry etc.

mameulah Wed 24-Oct-12 21:13:47

You should definitely do something to make her feel important and cared for.

Bagofspiders Wed 24-Oct-12 21:17:42

When I've left families in the past I've always been stupidly emotional and have actually preferred a more low key good bye. One family I worked for very sweetly organised a little surprise party for me which ended up with me being in floods of tears blush. Maybe some kind of hand made card/ present from your DC's and a card from you telling her how much you'll miss her, then perhaps invite her over for lunch with your DC's a few weeks afterwards. I always feel better about leaving if I know I'm going to see the children again.

TwelveLeggedWalk Wed 24-Oct-12 21:45:24

Thanks all. As I said the Dts are only 1 so not up to making much yet except for an epic mess. Will take some time out On her last regular day but she us actually coming back in a few weeks so might do more of a fuss then. Dh will be here then too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now