Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just wondering if any one childminds older kids? 11 yrs plus

(31 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Wed 24-Oct-12 13:52:15

I childmind siblings, one of which started senior school in Sept.

What activities do you provide for a child that age?

I have to ensure that I keep mum informed with what takes place, some times, as they are not juniors and they are NOT adults.

What advice would you give about caring for senior age children?

I have kids at senior school but they are mine and I am usually able to monitor what they do and how they do it. I like to give them space yet not let them do whatever they feel like doing.

Thanks

surfandturf Fri 26-Oct-12 20:22:09

I have a 12 year old girl during the week and to be honest she's such a good help with the little ones. In some ways she wants to be included as a child and join in with their activities but in other ways she likes to be older and use 'proper' crockery instead of plastic plates and cups like every one else. I also occasionally have 2 boys at the weekend and they mainly just like to play on their lap tops. Mum is fine about this as long as all homework has been completed first.

lechatnoir Fri 26-Oct-12 20:52:49

I have 10.5 year old twins come before & after school 3 days a week and they occasionally like doing craft stuff (soap/bracelet/picture/gift making) or help cooking tea (taught them how to make pizza a while back & bar some quiet supervision they can now rustle up a mean Margarita wink) but mainly they regress and goof around with the younger ones playing games like 'it', hide & seek or mother any babies I have. They're lovely and the ones my own DC miss the most at the weekend grin

MUM2BLESS Sat 27-Oct-12 19:46:42

Thanks for your reply.

I know I am not mum to the kids I mind but my motherly bit does still operate with the senior school one.

I know the challenges parents often face when their goes to senior school. I do feel a bit responsible as the parents are not their to see what their child is doing. ie bringing sweets and fizzy drinks into the setting etc.

MUM2BLESS Sat 27-Oct-12 19:48:15

Me again. Does anyone allow the older children under eletronic games etc. I do not and do not intend to do that whilst cm.

bbcessex Sun 28-Oct-12 21:35:55

Interesting thread.. now my eldest is 12, this is actually one of the reasons why I have an after school nanny rather than a childminder..

I want him to have some independance / the ability to go out with friends for a while etc, and I think that a childminder would (understandably) not be able to provide the right setting for that.. although - older children have a considerable amount of homework that needs to be done - I don't think I would want to put that pressure on a CM.

MUM2BLESS.. why would you not allow a nearly teenage child to use an electronic game?

bbcessex Sun 28-Oct-12 21:36:46

also - not although

thewhistler Sun 28-Oct-12 21:40:24

There was an article in Ncma's magazine last year ( I think.it is called who minds) by a boy who was older. That might offer ideas.

deb9 Mon 29-Oct-12 09:42:30

Hi, I look after a 15 year old. Most of the time she is happy getting involved with whatever the little ones are doing and enjoys helping. She also sometimes prefers to be alone which is fine and I let her use my laptop or watch tv, read a book etc. Eventually they do grow out of wanting to be with a childminder but they all do so at different ages.

Italiana Mon 29-Oct-12 09:52:09

I look after school children who are 10 and are with me the whole day during holidays...I simply love it!!!
They are wonderful with the young ones and never bored throughout the day

MUM2BLESS Mon 29-Oct-12 18:43:27

I guess it something which I have never really done. In the pass I may have allowed it with permission from parents. I think its so easy to put kids in front ot the play station etc.

Even with my own I think it needs to be done in moderation. My youngest son who is 8 is allowed on the play station but with a time limit. Things like homework etc needs to done or done in part.

At home I know some of the kids have hours of play of these things. I like to encourage other things for them to do.

The 11 would rather go to his friends and is allowed to do this by his mum. THe only thing is that what are kids doing out of the sight of an adult????

I do allow tv later on during cm.

I think as a parent/cm we all do things differently. I am willing to look at activities which older kids can engage in. The electronic gadgets belong to my kids and not to my cm business.

I try to carry out the wishes of the parents concerning their children.

Do most cm let their cm kids go on computer games, playstation etc?

Would love some feed back on this.

Sorry something else. I know that some kids are allowed to play and perhaps watch things which are meant for older kids/adults. I have seen some of the things that children engage in ie blood gushing out etc.

MUM2BLESS Mon 29-Oct-12 18:44:28

What activities do you engage your own kids with? (11 years old plus)

Poppylovescheese Mon 29-Oct-12 19:01:12

TBH my ds who is 11 wouldn't want to go to a childcare setting at all but if he did he wouldn't really be up for 'activities' at all. He does alot of sport after school so I am happy to let him wind down by playing on the ps3 or watching tv. He also plays out with other children and yes out of the sight of an adult??! I find it a bit strange that you would not adapt your cm business to suit the needs of the child according to their age.

MUM2BLESS Mon 29-Oct-12 19:28:20

Poppylovescheese you said I find it a bit strange that you would not adapt your cm business to suit the needs of the child according to their age.

After reading the comments I am willing to adapt, its just that I see and also hear stories of kids spending too much time on electronic stuff, I believe in doing things in moderation.

Some parents are happy for their 11 year old to stay at home alone some are not. My parent does not want the 11 year to be a home alone.

I know that 11 year olds would rather be out with their friends playing football and watching dvds etc.

If I turned on the tv early whilst cm you might as well not bother with any of the other activities which are available.

I am willing to adapt but it depends on what its is. What parents allow their own kids to do is slightly different to what a cm may do with them.

I allow my own older kids to go out of sight with their friend, but I adhere to what parents want for their kids. Some parents prefer if the tv was not on, I turn in on but in moderation.

What are your thoughts on this.

Italiana Mon 29-Oct-12 19:55:13

My kids want to 'chillax', they plan their play...all included even baby, very involved and noisy.
They do lots and lots of arts and crafts, we go out in the morning then after lunch they are allowed a video...maybe the odd game on computer under supervision, they read, dance and sing....never ending really
I have taken them to London which they love and behave very well wherever we go

The most important thing is for them to have 'no pressure' and watch the clock so often and they also want yummy food...so nothing too difficult to provide

Hope you all enjoy your half term as I will...

lechatnoir Mon 29-Oct-12 20:49:48

I would definitely include getting outdoors & if I ever have older ones we often go for a tramp in the woods - playing in the steam in summer and getting muddy in the winter or go on a bike ride (I have a bike seat if I have a little one), craft activities, cooking goes down a storm and then I don't mind a bit of tv but definitely no gadgets before lunch. I generally don't allow games unless they bring a DS or similar (& then I check usage with mum) as my own DC are only allowed to play on a Saturday so it's not fair to let others when they can't.

MUM2BLESS Mon 29-Oct-12 21:13:44

What does Ofsted say about electronic games being used? I think maybe I have been trying too hard.

Mine like going to the recreation ground to play football.

Italiana Mon 29-Oct-12 21:30:37

IT comes under Knowledge of the World...as long as it is supervised and for a limited time what harm can it do?
I have it in my policy that computer time is limited so no parent should get upset....mind you if the kids are busy they will not worry about gadgets..they spend a lot of time at school and home in front of screens so 20 mins is not the end of the world...my view entirely!

Poppylovescheese Tue 30-Oct-12 11:22:28

I am not too sure how you are expecting me to respond? I made no mention of my ds being left 'home alone' , I simply said he wouldn't be happy being looked after by a cm: he does do after school activities and sports camps. I think the point I was trying to get across (and perhaps I didn't do so very well) is that a childcare setting for an 11 year old is very different from the one required for a younger one. Obviously I appreciate it still has to be stimulating and have educational value but at 11 they are already learning alot at school plus doing home-work so I felt at a cm they would want to wind down and relax more than do activities. I do understand it is different from being at home and that you have a difficult balance as parents expectations differ. Having thought it through as well as laying football, ps3 etc my ds would (and does) also enjoy cooking (especially making pizzas), playing table top football, some board games (monopoly and trivial pursuit in particular) and also making stuff out of wood.

Poppylovescheese Tue 30-Oct-12 11:24:21

Also being out on his bike (may be hard with little ones), doing science 'experiments', going fishing (with a cheap net in local stream).

Mum2Luke Tue 30-Oct-12 17:44:51

I would rather they were doing homework first then they could perhaps play for an hour on the XBox or Wii. My ds is 10 and at the moment he plays out after school for an hour (he has football training on Thursdays) and must be in before dark or he is grounded.

I do offer care for 11+ but not many would want a cm except maybe in the holidays.

I will take children to activities such as local soccer schools put on free by Manchester City if they like that sort of thing or swimming if old enough and able enough.

MUM2BLESS Tue 30-Oct-12 22:19:04

Poppylovescheese when I mentioned home alone I was not aiming that at you personally. (sorry if it sounded that way)

(c m senior age children is a new area for me). Three of my older kids are at senior school. I have to use wisdom as I also have to ensure that the wishes of the parents are carried out.

I will however look at how I can take this to another level with the older child. I have cm kids of varying ages youngest almost 3 and the oldest the senior aged child.

Thank you for your suggestions on activities you would engage the older child with. More suggestions welcomed?

I do try to get suggestions from the children.

Do any of you cm's use your own childrens gadgets or do the older kids bring their own in? If they did bring in their own play stations etc do you check that the games suitable for them. Some parents may be happy for their 11 year old to play 15+ games etc. Are you not opening the door to something which may be hard to close.

We all have different ways of bringing up our kids as you all know. I hear the talk and language used around my table and know for sure that some of the kids are watching and doing things which their parents may not be aware of.

Poppylovescheese Wed 31-Oct-12 12:08:53

Hi again
Would it be a possibility to get one console (second hand) that all the children could use and have a mix of age appropriate games that they can play but say only at certain times or for a certain length of time? Might not be practical but just an idea. I would only let them play age appropriate games regardless of what they play at home and so in that sense it would be easier if the games were yours if you see what I mean. Also there are some good games that all can join in such as Wii fit and singstar; even littlies can do this. Other ideas for activities would be : using a (cheap) digital camera make a film or songs? Also some games to play with older/younger children such as wrap the mummy (get a roll of loo paper and each older child has 3 minutes to wrap the young child with loo roll as best as they can to make the 'best' mummy), twister etc. How many children do you have in total?

MUM2BLESS Wed 31-Oct-12 20:26:36

Poppylovescheese thank you, love your ideas.

I cm seven and I have four of my own 8, 11, 14 and 16.

Most of the kids are before and after schoolers. Varying times and days.

During the school hols I only have one child, which gives me time to catch up with things where possible.

I purchased some board games recently like pop to the shop, crazy chef, bus and lunch box and run run as fast as you can and bus stop. We made some play dough (3 colours). I like to visit stay and plays etc.

You got me thinking now about the consoles. I will look into this. Do you need parental permission for these to be used?

Italiana Wed 31-Oct-12 22:15:42

Just finished over 10 hours with 4 under 5s and 3 over 8s....great couple of days, children so busy and really relaxed, very noisy but lots of fun but I am so tired now I can hardly stay awake ....and another day to come!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now