Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any nannies work really flexibly/is this an unattractive job?

(17 Posts)
gasbird Mon 22-Oct-12 20:47:24

MN nanny wisdom required please with advert for odd requirements.

I will be returning to work at the end of Jan F/T. Both my husband and I work lots of shifts days/lates/nights. We are going to advertise for a nanny but all the adverts I've seen have very set hours. We need someone willing to work some (but not all) odd hours. Worst case e.g. 0645-2300 or 1800-0100 and infrequent weekends. Occasionally we may be unable to get away from work on time.

Some weeks the wouldn't be needed much at all so would have quite a lot of paid time off to compensate. We generally have our rota around 3 months in advance. We are in London.

My questions are:-
1) has anyone ever worked so flexibly, will anyone actually apply?
2) is a live-in nanny our only option (less keen on this plan as not massive space)
3) because of the non standard hours we are planning to advertise a gross annual salary as it only works out on average 20 hrs per week with all the time off but will pay for 40-50 because of the antisocial element. Does this sound ok?

I am starting to worry no one will want this post. Has anyone got any experience of working in this way and where they advertised if different from the usual places. I saw one agency for pilots/air stewards but still wasn't quite as flexible as we need.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. Sorry that was a bit long.

CharlieCoCo Mon 22-Oct-12 20:49:57

I think you will struggle with a daily, a live in would be better hours wise, especially on the super long or late days as can go to bed.
Paying 40/50 hours for working around 20 is a good idea though and would 'sweeten the deal'.

TomDaleysTrunks Mon 22-Oct-12 20:50:35

My nanny does this and she lives out. We are both doctors in London and provided she knows well in advance, she is pretty good.

We are leaving London soon so if you are in West London then I may be able to recommend our wonderful nanny! smile

giraffesCantGoGuisingAsZebras Mon 22-Oct-12 20:50:45

I worked in my first job for a family who were with a large Opera company. They had various dates for rehersals/shows/recordings. Sometimes quiet weeks and sometimes I was left over night with the kids.

It suited me at the time. I always got my shifts far in advance and I was garunteed a minimum number of hours a week - so even if they werent working/need me then I would get paid a minimum amount of hours regardless - sometimes would use those hours for babysitting/Id go in while they did stuff in house. Other weeks I would be well over my min hours and make loads extra.

nannycaz Mon 22-Oct-12 20:53:12

Hi
I think you could easily find someone for this position, i would of applied if i was local. Im to far away though sad

gasbird Mon 22-Oct-12 20:56:02

Thanks for this, everyone at least it's partly encouraging!

TomDaley We are also both doctors but I guess your nanny won't want to come as far as East Finchley/Finchley, shame.

saintlyjimjams Mon 22-Oct-12 21:01:31

I think given your suggested rate of pay you won't have too many problems finding someone to do this.

Could you offer them the opportunity to stay if they finish late? (This rather depends on you having a spare room). They may be happy to head home at 1am, but if they're starting work at 6.30 or something the next morning it would make more sense for them to stay over.

TomDaleysTrunks Mon 22-Oct-12 21:01:39

Nope, she prob wouldn't! I advertised on childcare.co.uk and got 8 applicants; worth the money.
We also got a nanny share to make it cheaper.

Like your NN and good luck with your hunt. Could you do hospital nursery and find someone to do wrap around care? Just a thought.

mojenko310585 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:06:56

where do you live?

gasbird Mon 22-Oct-12 21:13:35

saintly that's a great compromise which I'd stupidly not thought of thanks

I'll write the advert soon and get on with it. Fingers crossed I won't have to worry about not getting a nanny at all. Can you send to baby boarding school...confused

gasbird Mon 22-Oct-12 21:14:29

moj north London (finchley/east finchley)

mojenko310585 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:16:17

oh what a shame.....Im looking for this sort of work but Im based in south London

bangersmashandbeans Mon 22-Oct-12 21:21:25

My sister is a nanny and has worked for an actress for over ten years and had her child from 1 yr old. She has gone on to have her own children and it's still worked. Sometimes she has the child (now 15!!) for weeks at a time (living at hers) and other times just the odd school run. I think there is something for everyone in the world of childcare! Good luck in finding someone perfect for you!

wickedwitchofwaterloo Mon 22-Oct-12 21:24:17

I'd be potentially interested in this and I know the East Finchley area well (used to work there a few years ago) smile

gasbird Mon 22-Oct-12 21:43:16

wicked if you send your email address I could sent you the advert when I have composed it (assume this is allowed?)

FruttiDiMadre Mon 22-Oct-12 21:58:08

I have a nanny-friend who might be interested too, she is studying at OU and I think this is actually the kind of job she was looking for. Iirc she lives in Golders green, but not 100% sure. Do you want me to ask her?

gasbird Mon 22-Oct-12 22:17:45

Fruitti yes sure that would be great. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now