Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Tax question - help!

(3 Posts)
RachelW76 Mon 22-Oct-12 15:34:17

A tax question. I am in the process of recruiting a Mother's Help who will pick my child up from nursery and bring him home and be with him for a short time until I get home. This will be two days a week for an hour and a half each time, so a total of 3 hours work a week! Will I be this person's employer and therefore needing to pay tax, draw up a contract etc, or does it count as babysitting?

fraktion Mon 22-Oct-12 16:10:29

It would technically be employment as it's a regular arrangement but whether you need to do PAYE and whether there are tax liabilities depends on how much you pay them and whether they have another job. If it's their only job you're fine unless you're paying £50+/hour. The problem, I suspect, is that unless it's a student they'll almost certainly have another job.

This doesn't need to impact in the cost for you as you won't be liable for employers' NICs. As long as you agree a gross salary and can get to grips with the HMRC software it won't cost any more than if they didn't have another job.

MrAnchovy Tue 23-Oct-12 17:10:35

I would phone HMRC's New Employer Helpline (not the general help line) and explain the situation. If they agree it would be a waste of everyone's time and money for you to register as an employer, make sure you take a note of the conversation including who you spoke to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now