Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Live in nanny

(9 Posts)
madeindevon2 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:30:24

How much would I expect to pay for live in nanny to 2 children. Baby and 5 year old
Starting work 645am taking baby to nursery for 815. Child to school 830.
Light housework (dishwasher emptying, hanging out washing tidying kids stuff)
Then picking up kids from nursery/school at 3.30 looking after til 6.30-7pm
If wanted nanny to cover holidays too should I up the weekly wage or pay extra for holidays?

Dordeydoo Sun 21-Oct-12 20:38:27

An au pair might be better for you as you only require very few hours of childcare. The jobs you describe won't fill the time whilst children are at school/nursery

fraktion Sun 21-Oct-12 20:59:37

An au pair probably wouldn't be able to cope with baby plus school aged child in the morning. Why nanny plus nursery? Why not have the nanny FT looking after the baby?

What you're looking for will be not much less than a FT relatively inexperienced nanny, especially once you factor in nursery, purely because the hours are so unattrative for most people that you'd need to pay a premium.

nbee84 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:02:45

Most nannies like to have a little one at home. No children between 8.30 and 3.30 would put a lot of them off the job as there would be more housekeeping hours than childcare hours.

madeindevon2 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:07:37

thank you. Might consider dropping nursery
How much approx would this be? 12 hour days effectively. 5 days per week.

Dordeydoo Sun 21-Oct-12 21:10:42

I know an experience au pair who has twins aged 5 and a 8 month old baby in the mornings and after school

fraktion Sun 21-Oct-12 21:12:37

Depends on location and the profile of nanny - qualified or not? How much experience?

Anything from £300gross for a very new nanny to triple that for a central London super nanny.

You will also need to factor in the cost of another adult at home, kitty, insurance on your car if they need to drive etc.

mogandme Sun 21-Oct-12 21:15:31

Why not keep the baby at home with the nanny?

I am a live in nanny and my charge has recently started school - it is boring and there isn't enough to fill the day; I am doing it at the moment but it wouldn't appeal to me if I was looking at work

nannynick Sun 21-Oct-12 22:02:55

Nannies salary of 350-400 gross outside of London I expect you could get some people intetested. That's not what it will cost you as employer - there are other things to factor in, especially as it's live in.

Does it need to be live-in? For another £100-150 you may get someone liveout and not have to provide a room, bathroom, have them around your home at weekends and in the evenings.
12 hour days are long but not unusual for nannies. As a nanny I do 7-7 some days and I liveout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now