Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AIBU re new childminder

(39 Posts)
Mamasbelle Fri 19-Oct-12 22:17:07

Have had fab childminder for past few weeks. Now I have to move and find one for next Monday. Interviewed and signed with one for next week start just this afternoon. Our situation will sometimes be complicated as I have placements coming up during the year where I do unsociable hours, however someone else will do the late pick ups. I get home then round 8pm tonight she texts me that I'll have to pay week in advance on Monday (check her copy of contract and that is stipulated somewhere in middle and no mention had been made of it before). So now I'm thinking she's devious at worst and if not intentional, it's still a bit underhand at subconscious level. Who ever pays CM in advance? And what's with the 4 weeks paid holiday?? Thoughts please. Have got out list of other childminders...thinking of making some calls tomorrow :-0 Haven't got time for this...

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 19-Oct-12 22:19:38

I pay my CM a month in advance every month. It's not a problem. I don't pay her for holidays though as she is term time only. I have never paid a CM for holidays. What has that got to do with late pickups etc btw?

sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 19-Oct-12 22:19:39

normal to pay in advance (usually 1 month in advance so a week is nothing!) The holiday thing is also totally normal (but a massive PITA and why many people opt for nursery not a CM)

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 19-Oct-12 22:22:04

Lots of people pay in advance, because unfortunately sometime parents don't pay.

The first sniff of a problem with my parents and they'll be paying upfront.
You pay upfront for a lot of other things, why not childcare?

AllThreeWays Fri 19-Oct-12 22:30:08

You should read a contract before signing it.
I don't think she is being underhanded, probably just forgot to ask you for the money while you were there, and then remembered so texted.
Paying in advance is a sign of good faith.
Not sure about the four weeks paid holiday, that doesn't sound reasonable, is she going to align them with yours ??

looneytune Fri 19-Oct-12 22:30:31

Totally normal for childminders to charge in advance. I don't charge for holiday but many do, did you not read the contract before signing to agree to her terms?

greenbananas Fri 19-Oct-12 22:35:37

I charge weekly in arrears, and I know that I am very rare. Other childminders think I am mad, but it generally works for me as I trust the parents (having said this, I am currently owed £200 by a mum... )

It is totally normal for childminders to charge in advance, and we were advised on my training course that we should do this.

ChildrenAtHeart Fri 19-Oct-12 22:36:14

Ditto, I charge in advance & charge a deposit equivalent to 2 weeks fees refunded at the end of the contract. This is pretty standard these days. The holidays thing varies more but is not unusual. Many CM's feel uncomfortable talking about/asking for money so maybe that's why she didn't mention it rather than any underhand intentions

GrimAndHumourless Fri 19-Oct-12 22:37:46

yes standard to pay in advance

some cms do charge for hols, some don't, you often find this reflected in hourly rates

and yes it's usual to read a contract before you sign

rather than being devious or underhand she was being kind and helpful by pointing out the payment terms so that you are not embarrassed on Monday don't you think?

However, you are having second thoughts about the CM so I would agree, find someone else, this kind of thing can really sour a business relationship

LingDiLong Fri 19-Oct-12 22:52:41

Another one agreeing that paying in advance is standard. And really, it's up to you to read the contract through properly. I don't think it's necessarily devious or underhand. Because it's normal practice she probably assumed you would be used to advance payments.

I don't do paid holidays though, if I'm off there's no payment due if the parents are off then they still pay.

HSMM Fri 19-Oct-12 22:56:49

I charge a month in advance and a monthddeposit. She's not being underhand ... you agreed to all her terms when you signed the contract.

Scarfmaker Fri 19-Oct-12 23:05:45

You had a fab childminder for past few weeks and then had to find one to start today. Sorry, but what happened to your last childminder at such short notice? I'm sure she is a bit miffed that you've given such short notice.

Most childminders expect payment in advance (a week or month) as do nurseries and to say she is "devious" or "underhand" well I can't see why you have to say that.

Childminders are self-employed and have to have some time off.

4 weeks paid holiday is the norm for most. That is what I was charging up until I became a term-time only childminder.

I don't charge for 13 weeks of the year but know that some do charge for all those weeks.

Also depends on term-times. I've one parent who is at private school and have more weeks than the terms I work to. So I lose out on income.

I think you should hope you can work with your current childminder in resolving this situation.

apotomak Fri 19-Oct-12 23:09:27

shock You haven't read the contract before you signed it?shock

Groovee Fri 19-Oct-12 23:11:42

I pay in arrears but that's because I get paid in arrears. But I know my childminder does it differently for each child according to the parents needs and wishes.

My friends who are minders all charge in advance.

But why are you looking for another childminder and why did you not read the contract thoroughly before you signed. Would you purchase a house or car in this way? If not why not take the caution with your child that you do with anything else?

noseymcposey Fri 19-Oct-12 23:17:00

Another one here who pays their childminder at the start of the month for the coming month. That seems completely normal to me and I'd be very surprised to do it any other way.

Some childminders do ask for paid holiday so I don't think there is anything dodgy about this. Mine doesn't, and in all honesty I wouldn't be terribly keen on this but it's not all that unusual, and it depends on what they charge as their daily rate. Presumably child minders who don't ask for paid holiday build it into their fees anyway.

CoraBear Fri 19-Oct-12 23:23:27

A child minder who wants to go have a life of her own by having the holidays she's entitled to hmm I have worked as a child minder for nearly 14 years and this is the sort of attitude that drives me crazy.

Maybe you should have read the contract before you signed it? Hardly the child minders fault that you didn't.

mercibucket Fri 19-Oct-12 23:36:38

I never get the paid holiday thing, but you signed up for it! Most self employed people build holiday pay into their fees. Is her hourly rate a bit cheaper than those who don't bill for holidays

GrimAndHumourless Fri 19-Oct-12 23:38:46

CoraBear you have no entitlement to holidays as you are self-employed; you can chose to take holidays and negotiate paid or not with the families that you work with.

lechatnoir Fri 19-Oct-12 23:48:11

I charge in advance & take 4 weeks paid leave (although during school holidays so half fee for term time only) - I'd be amazed if this wasn't included in her standard T&C and she wasn't just pointing it out so you were clear BUT if it wasn't made clear & you are sure this is a later addition then I appreciate your irritation and I'd be speaking to her first thing tomorrow as this wasn't what you agreed to.

CoraBear Fri 19-Oct-12 23:50:13

She put it in her contract and as the OP signed it, she agreed to it. I have always had holidays stipulated in my contract (with a degree of flexibility to suit the parents) and have adjusted payments to cover 52 weeks of the year. You're right, the term "choose" is correct, but child minding is full on and I really think I'm entitled to holidays by the time they roll around smile

noseymcposey Fri 19-Oct-12 23:52:09

Out of interest, if you charge for your own holidays (i.e when not providing childcare) do you still also charge for when the parents have holidays? i.e. you get paid all year round?

CoraBear Sat 20-Oct-12 00:07:42

In my case it's a bit complicated. The parents of the children I mind don't take their children away with them when they go on holidays, Grandparents pick up for the week or so that the parents are away.

I would happily sync up with them if they wanted to try and organise holidays so that we're all away at the same time.

Tanith Sat 20-Oct-12 00:37:06

I did consider writing a full explanation of how this has arisen from your own carelessness and that your childminder is not devious but actually, I don't have time for all that... biscuit

minderjinx Sat 20-Oct-12 07:49:34

Calling your prospective childminder devious and underhand for reminding you of the (pretty standard) terms and conditions she had already given you in writing and you had signed up to is no way to start a partnership to care for your child. She will be fortunate if you go elseswhere.

lechatnoir Sat 20-Oct-12 08:34:53

noseymcposey - if they choose not to tie in with my dates (2 weeks in summer & week at Christmas all notified at start of year plus a few days here & there) then yes I get paid all year round as parents holiday is full pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now