Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

rules regarding nannies and mindees in their homes

(15 Posts)
olympicsrock Thu 18-Oct-12 22:36:54

Our amazing CM wants to find another job as is fed up with OFSTED. She has a 4 yo DD who she must look after before and after school. We would like her to be our nanny and work from our home looking after her own DD before and after school with our DS. Would she be able to have a mindee in her home for an hour at the beginning of the day to make things easier?

olympicsrock Thu 18-Oct-12 22:38:51

Should have said it would be less than 20pc of her hours as she would have DS all day

SamSmalaidh Thu 18-Oct-12 22:39:11

Do you mean another child other than your DS and her DD?

juneybean Thu 18-Oct-12 22:42:13

She would need separate CM and nanny insurance I suspect. My nanny insurance doesn't cover me to have my charge in my house.

MrAnchovy Thu 18-Oct-12 22:42:43

There aren't really any rules for care of a child for less than two hours per day.

olympicsrock Thu 18-Oct-12 22:44:24

No sorry I mean could I drop my DS off at her house at 7 30 am so she doesn't have to get her DD ready to be at our house so early.

SamSmalaidh Thu 18-Oct-12 22:46:22

So you'd drop your DS at her house, and then she'd take her DD to school and go to your house? I think that would be fine.

olympicsrock Thu 18-Oct-12 22:47:56

Juneybean - to have separate CM insurance do you have to be Ofsted registered too? Could be classed as babysitting in her own home as it would be one hour per day?

olympicsrock Thu 18-Oct-12 22:49:19

Sam -exactly that. So you think it would be ok.thanks for reply

juneybean Thu 18-Oct-12 22:50:34

I'm not too hot on cming rules but pretty sure for less than two hours you don't have to be registered

juneybean Thu 18-Oct-12 22:51:24

Sorry missed Mranchovys post blush

olympicsrock Thu 18-Oct-12 22:54:01

Mr Anchovy - so if the time that the mindee is in her home is less than 2 hours a day it doesn't matter that she is his nanny for 12 hours a day in total?

MrAnchovy Fri 19-Oct-12 01:34:36

It doesn't matter in the sense that this is not regulated childcare within the Childcare Act. What does matter of course is that HMRC will probably view all of the work she does for you as being employment.

nannynick Fri 19-Oct-12 07:00:35

Your costs are going to double if not go higher than that, yet you want to remove one of the advantages of having a nanny. That's very nice of you and I can see it working when your child is a baby and waking early but what about in a years time when your child may sleep longer and not want to get out of bed so early? What about school holidays, if taking your child to the nannies home at 7:30 then, it may run the risk that the 2 hour rule is breeched if the nanny does not bring the children to your home by 9:30.

It's good that ypu are thinking about this and nice that you are wanting to make your nannies morning easier but you are losing a benefit of having a nanny.

olympicsrock Fri 19-Oct-12 18:22:36

Thanks for your helpful replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now