Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Outstanding ofsted

(22 Posts)
isthatstrange Thu 18-Oct-12 14:20:06

Are there any cms out there who are outstanding? Just wondering what differs between good and outstanding. Thanks.

Runoutofideas Thu 18-Oct-12 14:54:34

I have just had my first graded inspection and was told I narrowly missed being outstanding. At the moment the inspectors seem to be hugely concentrating on partnership with parents. I was told that to get "outstanding" I would have to discuss development matters points when taking on a new child so as to have a starting point to show progression more clearly. She also wanted me to send home story sacks with feedback forms for the parents to show how they got on - this felt a bit too much like homework for 2 yr olds for my liking but hey ho! Although I ask for information on the child's likes and dislikes when they start, and whenever the learning diary gets sent home (half-termly), because the parents hadn't filled that bit in since they initially started, she couldn't give much credit for having asked.
Obviously this is only one small part of what they are looking for, but it seems to be what the inspector concentrated on in my case.

Italiana Thu 18-Oct-12 15:19:28

If you go on the ofsted website there is a publication showing how grades are awarded...should give you an idea as the inspections are now different and the criteria has changed too

stomp Thu 18-Oct-12 21:58:21

I was lucky to be awarded two consecutive outstandings, and I know a couple of childminders who have been awarded outstanding too. And I know quite a few childminders who have been awarded a good. One or two of those in my very humble opinion deserved to gain outstanding. But who am I to judge? Ofsted have their criteria, it is fair enough and broad enough to judge quality but it does have its limitations. Now in the EYFS12 the focus has shifted slightly again, a few settings that were judged outstanding before may find they have slipped to good. But they will still be excellent settings.
I’m not holding my breath that I will be outstanding for a third time. It would be great but I know that there are things within my setting I can not change that may influence the grade next time.
I suggest you read the reports that have started to trickle through and try to get a feel for what makes an outstanding setting in the eyes of ofsted. And also look for write-ups in magazines and newspapers, they often talk about outstanding setting being inspirational. The main thing is passion for quality smile

alibeenherealongtime Fri 19-Oct-12 13:40:08

stomp I can identify with you, twice O/S and wondering about next time round.

12 minders out of 15 of our now defunct network were outstanding.

Does anyone know of a c/m who was O/S but didn't get it the next time?

poopnscoop Mon 22-Oct-12 23:06:40

I have been graded outstanding twice. Work incredibly hard for it in ALL areas of my service... and I think it's clear to the inspector how passionate I am about the work I do with the children smile

HSMM Tue 23-Oct-12 07:12:24

I'm twice os and not expecting it next time.

ChildrenAtHeart Tue 23-Oct-12 15:59:07

Ditto

MrAnchovy Tue 23-Oct-12 16:23:33

It would be quite an achievement ChildrenAtHeart and HSMM - there was only one childminder that had received three outstanding grades according to Ofsted's report up to 2010/11.

alibeenherealongtime Wed 24-Oct-12 03:05:59

only 1 chilminder with 3 outstandings that's because many of us are waiting to be inspected for a third time. I'm not due until 2013.
When outstanding grades weren't available my inspector gave me an outstanding area of practice comment on my report, the first time she had done so to acknowledge the high quality care I offered.

I don't know of anyone who has been inspected 3 times since the grade was brought in, but a few are due. So waiting with interest.

HSMM Wed 24-Oct-12 07:07:43

I've only been inspected twice since the grade came out too. That's probably why people with outstanding 3 times are thin on the ground.

ChildrenAtHeart Wed 24-Oct-12 13:38:56

Me too. In each case I've been quite close to the end of the inspection cycle. Has it's benefits though as plenty of time to absorb the changes and read everyone else's report lol

Italiana Wed 24-Oct-12 16:36:37

Well Mr Anchovy you certainly do your research....agree with above ...3rd round of inspections may give 3rd outstanding...we are all waiting

Nottigermum Wed 24-Oct-12 16:43:12

yes here as well I had a feeling that my partnership with parents was not strong enough. I needed to take notes of discussions with parents, make official meetings to get their feedback, have a parent questionnaire in place to fill in regularly, and I have home-childminder books for each child but the parents rarely comment in the books and the inspector said that I should encourage them to comment more.
I had very good comments on my report with regards to my relationship with the children, knowledge of areas of development, outdoor play, and planning
and I am very proud to show my 'good' grading to parents.

MrAnchovy Wed 24-Oct-12 17:15:44

Bear in mind that it doesn't matter when you were last inspected, Ofsted now have until July 2016 to inspect everyone and they are prioritising those with lower grades in their last assessment. Before the goalposts were moved they were falling further and further behind and the firms they contract out inspection to have just sacked a number of inspectors for failing a test on the new inspection framework.

If I were a childminder (as if! No way could I do your job) I wouldn't have great expectations for my next inspection sad

I thought I'd gloss over the fact that unless you had had two inspections fairly close together for some reason you wouldn't have had three inspections since 2005 so couldn't have got three outstandings grin

Italiana Wed 24-Oct-12 19:33:07

Nowhere has Ofsted stated they are prioritising those with lower grades in any of the publications I have read recently...unlees there are concerns

At a recent conference Ofsted stated the 'screen has gone blank' meaning anyone can come up and be inspected in the new cycle
We would hope that those recently inspected will not go through another inspection soon...when asked the Ofsted manager did not reply and the same info was given by my LA 3 weeks ago

Are there any statements that say Ofsted were falling behind with inspections?
I believe Inspectors 'sacked' are appealing through their union as the test were changed last minute...worth reading the report
The goalposts were moved by the DfE as it reformed the EYFS so we now have inspections every 47 months not 3 years...cost cutting?

All this adds to speculation and uncertainty...certainly good questions to put to Ofsted at our Q&A session on 17 Nov...
I will be sure to take notes and report unless c/ms wish to attend and ask the questions themselves

sillymillysmummy Wed 24-Oct-12 20:09:37

Our LA has told us that childminders that have had 2 'satisfactory' gradings will be prioritised for inspection and also any minders that have changed circumstances, moved house, extensions etc.

I had a good grading 3 1/2 years ago, my friend has gad 1 satisfactory 2 1/2 years ago, and has been inspected again today. Her inspector told her that the childminding setting was not commensurate with an outstanding grading (in her opinion) and that the highest she expected to award to childminders was good.

My friend is a very good childminder IMO however if I do not get a better grading, given the extra eyfs work that I put into my setting, I shall be binning lots of the extra 'work' that I do.

MrAnchovy Wed 24-Oct-12 21:25:31

Nowhere has Ofsted stated they are prioritising those with lower grades in any of the publications I have read recently...unlees there are concerns

Remember Michael Gove's letter? "... allowing you [Ofsted] greater flexibility over the order in which you revisit settings previously inspected, so that you can focus earlier on those needing improvement."

Are there any statements that say Ofsted were falling behind with inspections?

This was never publicly acknowleged as far as I am aware but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence (ISTR there was a FOIA request that came up with something, but I don't have it to hand and it's water under the bridge now). I just picked up a quick unscientific sample of 10 inspection dates from early in 2012 and none of them was less than 6 months over the 3 years and 4 of them more than a year over.

MrAnchovy Wed 24-Oct-12 21:27:01

"Her inspector told her that the childminding setting was not commensurate with an outstanding grading (in her opinion) and that the highest she expected to award to childminders was good."

Complain to Ofsted. The training bar obviously wasn't set high enough.

poopnscoop Thu 25-Oct-12 10:52:10

I've only had two inspections (both O/T as mentioned)... interested to see what I will get at my next inspection... the bar has been raised INCREDIBLY over the last few years... would be interesting to see!

poopnscoop Thu 25-Oct-12 10:57:09

I will be there on the 17 Nov for the Ofsted Q&A for sure.

'Her inspector told her that the childminding setting was not commensurate with an outstanding grading (in her opinion) and that the highest she expected to award to childminders was good. '

We follow the exact same framework as nurseries... just do so within a residential, not commercial setting. She is incorrect and unfair to say that, and I would complain to Ofsted were such a comment made to me.

Italiana Thu 25-Oct-12 22:13:40

Yes well worth attending on 17 Nov and put those questions directly to Liz Elsom (Ofsted Early Years Manager)

Looks like inspectors continue to interpret individually rather than following those guidelines set in the many publications that have landed on our desk...what a waste of money !!!
Will this c/ms complain? does she know how? who will support her in her complain and represent her? no one i can think of

I dread the discussions that will start from now about how we have been graded....back to square one!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now