Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Christmas bonus for nanny

(17 Posts)
Xiaoxiong Wed 17-Oct-12 22:52:00

Our nanny has gone above and beyond for us since she started in July and we'd like to give her a Christmas bonus. I want her to know how much we appreciate her and of course we'll give her a card too, but I know she's saving up so would rather give money than a present.

Is there a generally accepted rate for a Christmas bonus? I really have no idea! confused

In case it matters, she's currently working three days a week and we're paying her £20k gross p.a. pro rata with all school holidays off.

TheBigKidsDidIt Wed 17-Oct-12 23:00:05

We do Christmas bonuses, usually about £100-150 for a similar amount of time worked to your nanny. We buy her a decent pressie too. I think we are the exception rather than the norm and I certainly don't think your nanny would expect it so any cash you give would be well received am sure.

TheBigKidsDidIt Wed 17-Oct-12 23:00:55

Though when I looked on another forum two years ago, a London nanny had just been given a month's salary as a Christmas bonus shock

Karoleann Wed 17-Oct-12 23:15:47

I usually give a week's salary + a nice present and a card made by the boys. A month is a lot (maybe they weren't paying enough??)

TheBigKidsDidIt Thu 18-Oct-12 00:15:21

I think it was one of those super-rich jetset homes in five continents families Karol.

Xiaoxiong Thu 18-Oct-12 09:39:28

A month's salary!! Yikes - I don't think we could stretch that far, I really hope she's not expecting anything like that.

Thanks for all the advice. I may have to help DS with making a card though as at 10 months he is more likely to eat the paper...

HappyAsEyeAm Thu 18-Oct-12 10:40:04

There are loads pf threads on Christmas and one-off bonuses, and I'm sure you will get a range of responses from a small gift, to something home-made by the DC, to monetary gifts to incredibly generous gifts.

I will just tell you what we do. We have a wonderful nanny. She works 3 days a week. We give £100 at Christmas (which is just short of a day's gross wage)me chocs and a card that DS has made, and we also give an annual bonus (which is completely discretionary) of £300. live outside London but within the M25 (if that helps).

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 18-Oct-12 11:45:06

when in a perm job i have always been given a weeks wages and then a small gift, usually funny pressie that kiddiwinks have chosen - ie spider catcher one year and a hamster racing car as had hammies then

some friends have been given nothing, others what i believe was an unwanted xmas pressie from last year avery weird pressie - a book on leprosy

Hopefully Thu 18-Oct-12 12:39:59

Crikey, I hope my nanny isn't used to getting a week's wages! She'll be v disappointed.

Ours will have been with us for 4 months at Christmas, I am intending to give her about £100 plus a small gift and DC-made card.

Ebb Thu 18-Oct-12 13:05:32

Blondes - a book on Leprosy? I'm alternating between confused shock and grin.

Xiao - you sound lovely and I'm sure whatever you give to your nanny will be most appreciated.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 18-Oct-12 13:16:08

tbh hopefully most nannies i know,including myself will appreciate anything they are given but the one thing all employers can give and is free is the occasional thank you smile

Xiaoxiong Thu 18-Oct-12 14:15:22

Aww, thanks Ebb smile I just know it's rare to find someone you trust enough to leave your DC with, DS really loves her and she loves him back. I knew when I saw her described as a "treasure" in one of her references that it would work out and it has.

This also gives me the incomparable pleasure of saying "I told you so" to my mother who thought we were crazy for hiring the first person we met just because we clicked with her.

Blondes I do thank her every evening and say how much we appreciate her (especially when the train is delayed, I have a late meeting etc so she has to work late).

It's funny how the little things really matter too: she always arrives early in the mornings with a smile on her face and pretends to be enthusiastic even about my most lentil-weavery ideas grin

Xiaoxiong Thu 18-Oct-12 14:15:57

Oooh book on leprosy! What a great idea, straight on the Amazon list grin

okiecokie Thu 18-Oct-12 21:24:54

Do you pay bonus through the books or cash in hand?

Victoria2002 Sat 20-Oct-12 10:56:30

I think it's great you're thinking of this and keen to make her feel valued, and saying so is very important. Nannies I know (Kensington, £500+pw net) usually get a weeks wage and a gift. Tiffany necklaces and Designer hand bags are favorite gifts, or a picture of the kids or something the kids made/chose. Bonus time off is always really appreciated too. BUT I do agree that it varies and many employers are not sure what's appropriate, a mate of mine who did nanny share once got a Kylie CD from one boss and a weekend in Bath from the other-ouch!

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Sat 20-Oct-12 11:56:45

In the past I've been given concert tickets (my boss remembered me saying I'd love to go but couldn't afford it) I was very grateful for the tickets but the fact she had remembered meant more iyswim.

One boss brought me a ds because I'd mentioned to my charge that I'd quite like one (hadn't actual meant it at the time it was a halfhearted answer to a 4yr olds question but I appreciated the thought and do actually use it)

Have had small token presents such as bubble bath and photo frames.

Current bosses usually give me a bonus of about £150 and a gift chosen by the children.

I never expect a bonus or a gift but am always grateful and if I'm honest the things I've appreciated more are the lovely words written in the card that came with the bonus or the silly gift my charges have chosen or the things I've mentioned in passing that bosses have remembered.

Whatever you give your nanny will be appreeciated if it comes with a thank you.

noviceoftheday Sat 20-Oct-12 15:02:17

A weeks net wage (£400ph) and a present from the kids plus a handmade card from each dc. She lives in so she also loves the 2 whole weeks off with her family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now