Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs and Nannies - if you have to go to petrol station whilst working do you leave children in the car?

(21 Posts)
Dordeydoo Wed 17-Oct-12 19:17:01

Title says it all

I try not to go whilst working but sometimes I have to.
What do you do?

sillymillysmummy Wed 17-Oct-12 19:18:19

I go to a pay at pump station

as a mummy of a 2yr old I do the same with children I care for as with my own either do it when I dont have them, use a pay at pump or get them out the car- sod the stares for those waiting for pumps (although always the time toddler decides we will have the car seat battle is when there is a q waiting for pumps!!)

nannynick Wed 17-Oct-12 19:40:52

No.
I avoid doing it but sometimes it has to be done at somepoint that day, so I will do it when I have the least number of children and the child/children ALWAYS come in to the pay kiosk.

Dordeydoo Wed 17-Oct-12 19:44:41

I try to use a pay at pump but half the time they don't work!
I take the children with me but after discussing with mum boss she said just to lock them on car

fraktion Wed 17-Oct-12 19:47:49

They come with. I would never risk leaving any child alone in the car. If there were to be a fire or a car crash into them it would be too awful. On a more mundane note I've had the remote central locking fail on my before now leaving me locked out of the car.

Shoshe Wed 17-Oct-12 19:50:45

I fill up on the way to work, but when I was a CM, i always did pay at pump.

Very occasionally (pAp broken) i would have to go in to pay. I left the children in the car.

No way was I going to get up to 6 children, usually 4 of those under 5 out of the car and try and cross a busy forecourt, with them all under control!

I could see the car at all times tho.

looneytune Wed 17-Oct-12 19:53:43

Same as Shoshe. IF I ever have to when working, I use Pay at Pump but there has been 1 or or times I've had to pay inside and after risk assessing, decided to leave them in the car but ensured I could see them at all times (as I felt it was more dangerous to get so many little ones into the garage).

UndeadPixie Wed 17-Oct-12 20:00:29

I leave my three charges, but they're older (youngest is 4) and when I have them in the car I only ever use one station where I know that I can see them at all times. If I had younger or toddler charges I would take them in with me. I avoid it as much as possible being honest though, and I always leave for work five/ten minutes early (I like chilling out in my car before going in!) so if I need to fill up I try to do it on the way!

HSMM Wed 17-Oct-12 22:14:43

Try not to fill during working hours. Or pay at pump. Or leave the children locked in car, without keys in ignition - safer than taking them out on forecourt.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 17-Oct-12 22:27:41

As I have a works car obv if needs petrol then fill up during working hours

I leave children in the car but use a petrol station and pump that I can see rhe car and kids at all times

Obv car is locked and alarmed

magicOC Thu 18-Oct-12 00:59:39

Same as fraktion

I would never leave them in unless it was a pay at pump.

OldCatLady Thu 18-Oct-12 07:57:39

I use a pump that is easily visible from the kiosk/shop and leave them, double lock the doors.

Personally I feel taking two children out and traipsing them around the petrol station forecourt is more dangerous. I worked in a petrol station as a student and my boss had worked there 15 years and never seen a fire/accident (more than a scuff) but FIVE children had been hit by cars!!

nannynick Thu 18-Oct-12 08:58:50

Interesting to hear from someone who has worked at a petrol station. I do wonder what the risks actually are, whilst we may perceive that leaving children in the car is a high risk, they may well be in more danger crossing the forecourt.

Fire (link to Oct 2008 BBC News report, Morrisons Livingston does happen but I wonder how often. However I still see people using mobile phones and even smoking (on site, not near the pumps luckily) whilst at a petrol station - so either the filling station owners are perceiving the risk of fire is low and are doing nothing to stop people doing that sort of thing, or CCTV isn't being monitored, staff are not picking it up.

What about childcarers liability insurance... what do the insurers say - anyone asked them?

Ideally we would never have to fill our cars with children on board but try as we might that may not always be possible, especially with small cars like mine which have a small fuel tank (typically does 240 miles to a tank). On my route to work there are no petrol stations, so I often fill up in the late evening on my way back from the gym (there is a petrol station 1/2 mile from the gym).

I've always wondered about this debate. I've only ever seen one person take o e child out of the car to pay for petrol. And I think that was more about the child choosing a drink. I just wonder, if it is so frowned upon to leave them in the car, why I have not seen more children in petrol stations.

Just to add, my cm leaves them in the car.

Campari Sat 20-Oct-12 02:21:43

As long as you've locked the car what is the problem with leaving them for a couple of minutes? They surely won't die of thirst??

squiby2004 Sat 20-Oct-12 08:21:37

I gave up 2 years ago but I always left them in the car. It's much more dangerous getting 3 under 2 years olds out and across the forecourt than leave them in the car IMO. I CM'd 4 years and never had any issues, always left my own DD in the car too and still do

blondefriend Sat 20-Oct-12 20:57:05

I'm not a CM but I would always leave my kids in the car and would actually hope my CM would leave my ds in the car if she needed to fill up. I know my ds, he is a fast, wriggling, physically rough but mentally delayed 2 year old. He is 100x safer left strapped into his car seat than taken across a forecourt, especially if she has her other charges with her. I would hope that she locks the car though.

NotAChocolateRaisin Sat 20-Oct-12 21:59:48

No. I always take him with me. Mainly because he throws a screaming hissy fit if I don't but also because I feel more comfortable with him being with me. Would be the same for my own child.

Ebb Sat 20-Oct-12 22:34:08

I leave my kids in the car but try to use pay at the pump. I always make sure I can see the car from the kiosk.

Slightly irrelevant but when I was travelling in Thailand, I took the over night bus to Chiang Mai and they stopped for a fuel stop. The driver left the bus engine running as he filled up whilst smoking a cigarette. All the English passengers stood on the far side of the car park. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now