Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

breast fed one year old

(12 Posts)
totalyexhaustedchildminder Tue 16-Oct-12 19:51:14

i am looking after a one year old who is breast fed which is great the only problem is they dont have a bottle,soother or drinker and they wont sleep without the breast how do i get them to have a nap

greenbananas Tue 16-Oct-12 20:00:16

I used to carry breastfed 1 year old mindee in a sling until he gave up and slept. The closeness reassured him. Failing that, I used to put in him a pushchair and wheel him around the neighbourhood.

shockedminder Tue 16-Oct-12 20:18:35

I have a 15 month old who recenty started with me, is breastfed to sleep by mum and then she lays down with her so I was concerned about how they would settle to sleep here. Mum asked me to use a buggy to rock to sleep so I do that and it's fine now. They only come once a week during school hours and only been with me for a month. It did take some settling this one and the first nap was about 30 mins long and took a while of rocking but today I had to get them up after 1 hour 20 mins (for the school run) and I didn't rock them at all. I think the main thing is reassuring them whilst they are at yours by keeping them close to you (a sling can be useful for that) but also try rocking in the pushchair/taking for a walk in the pushchair.

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 16-Oct-12 21:26:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertieBotts Tue 16-Oct-12 21:28:40

At 1 they definitely know and understand that when mum is there they can have the boob and when she isn't, they can't. They'll sleep when they're tired even if it requires a bit of cajoling in other ways smile Just treat him like any other child who doesn't take a soother.

fraktion Tue 16-Oct-12 21:40:37

Slinging worked for us.

Now he just doesn't nap....

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 16-Oct-12 22:04:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

my now 25mth old started with cm at 9mths was a breast feed baby on demand and feed to sleep for both naps in day and at bedtime was night weaned from 15wks though.

I also had a bottle refuser, never had a dummy refused and only drank water from a beaker.

so 5wks before I went back to work so just before he turned 8mths I weaned him in daytime to 3 feeds to conicide with work pattern feed at 7am, 4.45/5pm and 7pm - (the 4.45pm started as 2pm and shifted to that time during a week). Never had an issues with this lots of distraction offering snacks instead etc

anyway with naps I took him for a walk in buggy for 15mins for both morning and afternoon nap and then as time went on I just start putting down in cot with lots of reassurance and have had no problems

Old cm used to sometimes pop in travel cot or he slept in buggy on way back from school and she left him in there, he even started just laying on floor in lounge to go to sleep!! He now sleeps on a mat at nursery and also at new cm, at home nap is in a cot.

I think its about what the child will do with you so a bit of trial and error maybe neccesary and what he wont do for mum he may do for you.

for me doing the same at home and cm routine wise in that I didnt breastfeed other than those feed time even on my days off to avoid confusion but know other people have other views on that.

UndeadPixie Wed 17-Oct-12 21:07:08

Ditto the sling. Worked for my charge every time along with singing Twinkle twinkle all the way through and the alphabet song on repeat! Then we switched to the buggy during the summer as it was too hot for the sling and she was getting bigger!

MummytoMog Thu 18-Oct-12 16:29:56

My BF nine month old actually took to a dummy very nicely for naps at the childminders. We also sent one of the cuddly toys from his cot with him, and he used to get tucked up with that.

MummytoMog Thu 18-Oct-12 16:30:46

But he would never take an orthodontic dummy, always had to be a 'natural' shaped one. Avent do them now that TT have discontinued them.

Machadaynu Thu 18-Oct-12 16:36:39

The kid was/is b/f and I used to have terrible problems getting her to take a nap (I'm her dad, see)

No advice really - I lost a stone walking her about in her pram, but I guess that won't work if you have other kids to mind. I also used to get into our bed with her and read and re-read the same short, repetitive stories every time in a soothing voice, but it still took ages. What do the parents want you to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now