Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would anyone who has a nanny in the North West be happy to talk to me about costs?

(6 Posts)
curlywurlycremeegg Tue 16-Oct-12 13:46:38

I am based in Greater Manchester and have found myself in the position of having no childcare due a my childminder becoming seriously ill,very suddenly and the pre/after school club closing. As I have three children needing chidcare I have been thinking about employing a nanny.

Two (5 and 7) would need taking to school and collecting at the end of the schoolday.The third (3) attends the school nursery in the mornings so would need taking there in the morning and collecting at lunch time,being given his lunch and care for in the afternoon.

I am concerned the hours we require are long 07:30-17:30, would this put nannies off? I am also very unsure as to the wages in this area.

fraktion Tue 16-Oct-12 13:57:24

That's not too long for a nanny. 10 hour days are fairly standard and the early-ish finish might be quite attractive.

Wages, as they do everywhere, depend on the kind of nanny you want. If you specify qualified, OFSTED reg, 10 years experience etc then they will be pricier than someone with no experience, not formal training and not registered with OFSTED.

At a minimum I expect you want the paperwork you would expect an OFSTED registered nanny to hold and a bit of experience so £8-11 gross wouldn't be unreasonable. That's not taking Employers NI into account. For someone more experienced, say 5+ years, £10-13gross. There are certainly nannies in the area but lots of after school jobs, which tend to attract a higher hourly rate to compensate for the PT nature of the job.

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 16-Oct-12 14:51:02

Thanks fraktion, I amnot really sure how relevant all the paperwork is, is OFSTED registered important? I feel in such a panic about all this but obviously don't want to make a rash decision, especially for my youngest as he will be the one spending the most time with them. Do you have any recommendations on how to find someone?

fraktion Tue 16-Oct-12 14:58:48

The actual piece of paper is only important if you want to claim child are vouchers but it's useful to consider that the Govt view a paed 1st aid cert, liability insurance and training in the common core skills (safeguarding, managing behaviour, communicating with parents) as the minimum standard expected.

You can either put an ad on Gumtree, netmums, nannyjob, childcare.co.uk etc or instruct an agency. The former is cheaper, the latter should cut out legwork looking at CVs. In both cases you'll need to interview and check qualifications and references.

Before you do anything you need to pin down exactly what you do/don't want and need. Driver? Own car? Do you want them to do cooking? Children's laundry? What will they do when your youngest goes to nursery?

There's a nifty guide here

fraktion Tue 16-Oct-12 15:01:16

The minimum in terms of paperwork for me would be emhanced CRB check, liability insurance (which they pay for) and a first aid certificate.

On your side you will need to consider employers liability insurance, which may come with your home insurance, and the paperwork around tax/NI deductions. It's worth instructing a payroll agency for around £150/year to handle that side of things for you.

chocoholicanon Tue 16-Oct-12 22:14:38

Hi Curlywurly I am a nanny living in South Manchester and an currently looking for work. I have all those qualifiying pieces of paper that Fraktion mentioned. Pm if you would like to know more as am on my phone at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now