Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Stupid quick question about using a CM

(12 Posts)
ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Tue 16-Oct-12 12:18:41

Sorry if this sounds bonkers grin I have never used a CM, my only experience of childcare is a term time preschool!

I am considering going back to work full time (eek!) I would need to get a CM for pick-up and after school in termtime, and full time for school holidays and INSET days.

Children are nearly 4 and 5.5.

Am I right in thinking this would be a totally bog standard thing to look for (the three yr old would be in preschool 9-3 daily on the same site as the yr1 child)

I know I would have to work around the CM's holidays/sickness and child's illness (No back up available really unless it fell on DH's days off but he is often off in the week)

This is totally standard, isn't it? i know all CMs can set their own terms etc, but I wouldn't have to (usually) pay for a fulltime place all year to get a full time place for school hols would I? Or would I? Thanks muchly.

Poledra Tue 16-Oct-12 12:24:23

I don't - I pay for before and after school for all 3, and full-time during the holidays. My CM says she hates giving out the August bills, as they are always so high grin

Poledra Tue 16-Oct-12 12:28:16

Actually, I wasn't very clear there. My contract with the CM states the children will be there from 8am till school, then after school until 5:30pm, and I pay for those hours. I would also pay for anything over those hours used, so occasionally I have been late home from work, and would therefore pay for the extra time used. My contract is also for 8am till 5.30pm during school holidays. When my CM is on holiday, I do not pay anything, but that varies from person to person.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Tue 16-Oct-12 12:31:36

Thanks, every little helps! No clue here grin I don't need care before school, thank goodness as DH will be able to drop off. In fact I may not need any unless I get a suitable job!

Shoshe Tue 16-Oct-12 12:37:00

You could well have to pay full for your preschool child.
Most CM charge while a under five is at preschool as they take up a full time under five space.
But for your school age child no you would just pay before and after within term time.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Tue 16-Oct-12 12:51:13

If I did have to pay for all day with the CM he would go to the CM instead of the preschool, as I pay partly for that, he has extra sessions plus NEG funding. Otherwise I would be paying twice for him confused

He doesn't go full time now while I am not working, obvs smile

RationalBrain Tue 16-Oct-12 12:54:25

It is unlikely that the CM will take the 15 hours funding though.

Some CM would charge for the under 5 year old, some wouldn't, depends how many children they have on their books. The only way to find out is to ask around. Its only potentially a problem for a year though, until your youngest is 5.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Tue 16-Oct-12 13:00:10

It does sound like it could work I think, yes. I hadn't realised that my eldest turning 5 makes things a lot easier for ratios and things.

Thanks. Any other suggestions still welocme smile

minderjinx Tue 16-Oct-12 13:16:30

Some CMs do offer the 15 hours funded place for 3 year olds. It has to be agreed by the local council so probably the quickest route to find one who does would be to ask your local council early years team which local childminders have or have had govt funded children.

HSMM Tue 16-Oct-12 13:19:54

I would charge outside school for the child in full time school and full day for the younger child. If the younger child was with me full time, I could offer you the government funded hours.

shockedminder Tue 16-Oct-12 13:33:43

I was going to say the same thing as the others and that you may get charged for your 3 year old as they take up a valuable full time space. I also offer the 15 hours funding but if I didn't, I'd have to charge you all day unless I had a child who came just during school hours.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 16-Oct-12 13:39:22

I only pay for the hours the DC use. DS2 is there fulltime and DS1 has afterschool care for an hour or so. We are termtime only as DH teaches. I am hoping we can keep the afterschool arrangement for when DS2 starts nursery next September when he is 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now