Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM club: Fussy Eaters.

(8 Posts)
Mypopcornface Mon 15-Oct-12 12:41:04

I have this very fussy eater mindee who will eat few things only and sometimes try other foods but it is a bit of hit and miss. Thing is if mindee does not eat what is on the menu on that day I have to keep offering other foods or just offer what I know will get eaten so mindee won't go hungry. But this is not practical nor good business decision as my fees include meal and I end up wasting a lot of food because of this. Should I stick to what mindee eats and offer just those and to others what is on the menu, should I let mindee go hungry or should I ask for packed lunch?

Mypopcornface Mon 15-Oct-12 13:47:23

I need replies please I'm talking to parents soon

Runoutofideas Mon 15-Oct-12 13:50:51

I have one fussy one. I have agreed with her mum that she will try whatever the others are eating, if she doesn't eat it I give her toast and fruit or yoghurt just to fill her up a bit. I try to put something I know she'll eat, like fish fingers, with things she probably won't, in the hope that some of it goes in. Depends on age of mindee though to a certain extent, mine is 18m.

Flisspaps Mon 15-Oct-12 13:52:32

With mine, they eat the meal or get toast.

FireOverBabylon Mon 15-Oct-12 13:53:19

Just offer one meal - they'll either eat it because the other children do, or they won't. Offer mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks and they won't starve. don't faff about cooking seperate foods for them, the others will notice and just want beige food as well.

If they had a food allergy, that would be different, but just being fussy? No. DC tend to eat more at CMs than at home anyway so you might be pleasantly surprised.

Don't ask for a packed lunch, not least because you don't know what the parents will roll up with for young children, and so long as they're happy to pay your fee, surely it's less important how much food is wasted as they are covering the costs?

Mypopcornface Mon 15-Oct-12 14:26:43

My fees cover the cost of the meals I offer not various meals until mindee decided they like this TODAY. As I said they will eat some kind of food 'for sure' and sometimes other but it is a hit and miss even with the food they normally eat. Sometime I prepare everything they normally LOVE and fuSsy mindee decides not to eat on THAT day. Than if I decided to wait to give food until next snack time mindee will get cranky and snappy. My fees are already very good value as it is with the 3 meals included I don't want to be wasting money on 3 different portions of food per meal iykwim. Mindde is 2,5 Y.

Titchyboomboom Mon 15-Oct-12 21:29:22

I started a thread on this the other day... having same problem!! Will post link

Titchyboomboom Mon 15-Oct-12 21:33:07

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childminders_nannies_au_pairs_etc/1586633-Fussy-Mindees

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now