Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Might have to work nights - Lone Parent, advice please

(20 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Sun 14-Oct-12 13:56:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

There are some childminders registered for overnight care depends how often you need one.

An au-pair is an option and prob a nice job if they have days free apart from overnight care where your son will be asleep

or the other option is a nanny who does nights.

Whistlingwaves Sun 14-Oct-12 14:37:29

HappySunflower Sun 14-Oct-12 14:40:41

What area do you live in?
I might be able to recommend someone....

Whistlingwaves Sun 14-Oct-12 14:43:58

lechatnoir Sun 14-Oct-12 14:45:15

Quite a few CM's are registered for overnight care myself included (Kent) but this would mean going to their house. If you want someone in your own home an AP would be best & definitely work out cheaper if it's more than 2 nights a week.

Xenia Sun 14-Oct-12 14:52:37

Advertise locally. When my father needed someone staying at night people were available to do that for a fee. May be they could even just sleep in your bed if space is a problem rather than having to be up all night and then it might be cheaper. We are in one of the worst recessions for years. there are always people for hire to do anything at the moment. They would be fighting over the job. Obviously take up references.

longjane Sun 14-Oct-12 15:36:19

yes i argee with xenia try and and get a sleep in childcare pay them flat rate and hourly rate more if they have to get up in night if your child is sick .
if you get au pair they will around in day when you are trying to sleep.
i know i would do job like this and sure other people would

if you have room you could also try a lodger who works 9 - 5 and wants a cheap room depending on what time you get home and time of school run.

Whistlingwaves Sun 14-Oct-12 16:24:23

longjane Sun 14-Oct-12 16:36:09

work out what you can afford and see if anyone will work for it

longjane Sun 14-Oct-12 16:38:43

have a look on gumtree / mumnet at people offering to be babysitter
and ask them how much they would charge .to do a sleep in.
if you go this route have few on them so they can cover sickness holidays ect

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 14-Oct-12 22:10:49

I know two CM in my village that do overnight care (so it isn't that uncommon) they charge about £25 / night for over 2's.
I am based in S Yorks - so not an expensive area.
Contact your Family Information Service for a list of CM close to you who provide overnight care.

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 14-Oct-12 22:11:40

Family Information Service at your Local Authority BTW

SamSmalaidh Sun 14-Oct-12 22:14:44

I've been looking at about £70 a week for 25 hours work for an au pair - plus of course food and board. Au pairs get "pocket money" rather than a wage, and actually if your job leaves the day free then it would be perfect for an au pair who wants to study in the day. Do you live near a university? Might be perfect for someone who wants to come to the UK to do a degree.

HondaJizz Sun 14-Oct-12 22:15:52

Have pm'd you.

suburbophobe Sun 14-Oct-12 22:30:43

I feel for you OP, I am a LP too.

I have a friend who is also a LP, and worked as a nurse on night shifts during the week.

(our DSs are now late teens/early twenties).

What she did was advertise at the uni for a student (she had a spare room) to live there during the week so she would have someone for her son in the evenings and during the night. She would come off her shift, do the school run and go to bed until 3 or 4 pm.

She had about 3 different girls over about 8 years, it worked out pretty well. She became friends with all of them.

She charged a low rent and had the clause that they went home at the w/e (parents, boyfriend, friends).

In a city where student accomodation is hard to come by she found a great solution that worked for both parties.

(She did have a job that had different shift patterns so she didn't actually work nights for 8 years!).

Wishing you luck!

Whistlingwaves Sun 14-Oct-12 22:46:16

nannynick Sun 14-Oct-12 23:16:37

To keep the cost down I feel you need someone who will live at your home - so like an au-pair, but they may be a student, or someone doing something else during the day.

Problem I see though is that 5 nights a week is a big commitment for someone, they wouldn't get much of a social life, so it may not appeal to many people - though I suppose it depends on the actual hours they would need to be present at your home.

Whistlingwaves Sun 14-Oct-12 23:35:40

If the are mon-fri or sun-thurs nights I think you could get a student who is willing to do this in exchange for free accomodation - then if its a sat night you might need to entice them with a little money!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now