Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice needed, thinking of splitting DDs between nursery and nanny

(4 Posts)
RunningGuerita Sat 13-Oct-12 16:39:18

Going back to work in January hopefully, subject to finding a new job. Will be FT. We can't afford 50/55hrs per week of a live out nanny plus nursery sessions for 2 year DD so, somewhat reluctantly, we will be putting both DDs in nursery full time. DD1 attends now 2 days per week and loves it. She started when she was 11mo old and went 4 days per week. DD2 will be 9 months old when she starts. I hate the thought of DD2 in particular being there 5 full days a week.

I am thinking of signing them up for nursery four days a week and then finding a nanny for Fridays so they can have a quieter day at home. I realise this means juggling two sets of childcare and especially for the baby two new arrangements to get used to.

We live in SW London and I would have thought have a good shot at finding a Friday nanny. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Photoseverywhere Sat 13-Oct-12 16:48:37

My charge used to split his time with me (the nanny) and nursery. I worked M-F 7.30-5.30 then he went to nursery T-W-T 8-1 this from the age of 2.0 and he managed just fine smile

Karoleann Sat 13-Oct-12 21:28:27

Sounds perfect, all of my children have been to nursery and full time is just too much.
Quite a few nannies are available Friday as a lot of parents who work a four day week have Fridays off. (we used to have a Friday only nanny and had a lot of applicants).
So means that you hopefully have a babysitter for the occasions you may want to go out on a Friday.
I would suggest ensuring they split the tax code between you and their other job, otherwise you end up paying a lot more tax.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 14-Oct-12 05:56:15

Sounds fine. Thought very doubtful a nanny will split their tax code 80/20 - their employers won't be impressed suddenly having to pay more tax if they agreed a nett wage

So always discuss a gross wage tho you may find and blondes isn't advising this as illegal [ wink] but if you have a 4 day nanny they may happily take cash for the Friday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now