Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Clueless and TTC soon - tell me about fees an costs of childcare

(15 Posts)
sparkle9 Sat 13-Oct-12 09:38:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 13-Oct-12 09:44:53

Childminders may do term time as they may have school children in the holidays, or their own children. I suppose a nanny with school age children might do the same. 7:30 is an early-ish start but not impossible. You have to pay a nanny a gross salary.

Not in your area so don't know about costs per hour!

sparkle9 Sat 13-Oct-12 09:55:26

Runoutofideas Sat 13-Oct-12 10:47:23

Term time only childminders exist - I am one, but in the wrong area for you. I charge £5 per hour including meals. 8am is the earliest I start work though, because I have 2 school aged children of my own to get up and sorted in the mornings. Childminders differ hugely though in price and in hours they can offer, so it would be worth asking around. Your local council will be able to provide you with a list of local childminders which could be a good starting point.

(BTW handover is likely to be quick anyway - I can't see many childminders being happy with you hanging around for half an hour at 7.30am!)

An0therName Sat 13-Oct-12 13:28:56

in the north east lots of childminders will do term time only -prices out of newcastle - which I don't know about - between 3 and 4 pounds an hour, in my experience alsp morning handovers are v quick - 5 mins -
you should get childcare vouchers as well which brings cost down especailly if your OH gets them as well.
7.30 is quite early - but loads start at 8 and can usually have a bit of flexiabiltiy -
what does your OH do as its much less stressful if you don't have do all of the drops off and pick ups
other option would be a nanny share but might be difficult term time only - and would I think be still more expensive than a childminder
agree council website best place to start looking and really I would say earlist would be when you are 6 or 7 months pregnant

sparkle9 Sat 13-Oct-12 15:56:01

sillymillysmummy Sat 13-Oct-12 17:34:45

Sparkle I am in the north east and do just this for a mindee at the moment, mum drops at 8, her school is around 10 mins away but at a push I would start earlier if needed. I charge £3.65 an hour, inc playgroup fees and snacks. I am sunderland

Hth

cece Sat 13-Oct-12 17:54:52

I'm a teacher so only need term time care.

Over the years I have always found childminders happy to accommodate this. Some do not charge me for the holidays at all but some have charged me half to retain my place. All depends on the childminder really.

cece Sat 13-Oct-12 17:57:01

And blimey I'm moving to the NE! I have paid anything from £5 to £7 ph here in the SE!

At the moment I have two cm - one for DS1 and one for DS2. (Don't ask)

One charges £6ph but doesn't charge me for holidays. I pay extra for meals.

The other charges £5.75 ph but charges me half for holidays. This also includes all food.

cece Sat 13-Oct-12 17:59:52

DS2 hours are drop off - 7.30am and pick up 5.50pm

DS1 is drop off 7.45 and pick up by 6pm. But I usually get there by 5.50pm.

cece Sat 13-Oct-12 18:00:12

sorry 5.30pm pick up for DS2

nextphase Sat 13-Oct-12 18:13:50

Up in the NE.
Several nurseries here do term time only, but you need to ring all of them to see who does teacher rates.
I only found one place round here who charged extra for before 8 drop off (most were open from 7.30, and one from 7, the other was open from 7.30, but you had to pay for breakfast on top of the day rates for drop off between 7.30 and 8).

Most nurseries seem to be about £35 a day. Were at a slightly more expensive one, but get a massive discount for 5 days!

No idea about childminders. Next door has a nanny at £10/hr. Don't know when the tax gets added in. Have you tried the family information service for you borough to access childminder lists?

nannynick Sat 13-Oct-12 19:07:53

As a nanny in the SE I get around £10 gross an hour... maybe I should move to the NE if nannies there are getting the same - flat prices I expect are lower in general.

I would expect a nanny would be unviable given the likely cost of £100-£150 a day (In that cost I am estimating cost of salary, employers NI, payroll admin, mileage for travel, activities, food etc).

I would suggest you look at childminders and nurseries.

An0therName Sun 14-Oct-12 12:08:12

sparkle9 I think its a really good idea to get an idea of childcare costs before you TTC - and so long as your OH can do some drop and pickups you will be fine -its more in my experience and observation if you have to do every one is very stressful - if its the odd day you have to do both that not a problem

forevergreek Sun 14-Oct-12 16:31:33

this is the kind of job you may find interests a nanny with their own young child (often of a similar age)

Many nannies choose to return to work earlier than they would have if they can bring their child with them. your position would probably be popular as only 3 days and many many not want full time with a child also so part time works well.

you can usually agree on an approx 10% reduction in exchange that they bring their child also. this can work great as a playmate for an only child

im afraid i have no idea of prices outside of london

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now