Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - communication advice needed please (toddler starting next week, new to the English language)

(7 Posts)
looneytune Thu 11-Oct-12 13:44:13

Hi all

Met a lovely mum and her lo this morning and will start with her 2 year old next week (only 4 hours a week). The child has only just turned 2 so doesn't speak much yet but understands a LOT of what is said in his own language. I know that children pick up new languages much better than us adults but I'm just wondering how I may be able to help them to understand what I'm saying as they could get frustrated at times when they are used to understanding others (only been in the UK 2 weeks).

Any advice to help would be great. I plan on asking mum for some key words to help me although luckily I know a LITTLE bit of the language myself so that will help a bit. I'm thinking maybe picture clues may be helpful (like a photo of a meal to show we are going to be having lunch etc).

That's it really, just trying to do what I can to help make the communication a little easier.

TIA smile

fraktion Thu 11-Oct-12 14:21:51

Would the mum be open to doing some baby signing/makaton with them that you can do too?

Speaking very simply with lots of gestures and not varying vocab as much as you would instinctively with a child that age.

You shouldn't translate into his language - it can get confusing for a child to suddenly hear 'we're going to have déjeuner now' - but it all probably help in the future if u. He will probably make the connection by doing.

fraktion Thu 11-Oct-12 14:22:33

*in the future in understanding! Not if u smile

looneytune Thu 11-Oct-12 14:27:12

I did think about signing but it's whether or not she wants to do that for what is only 4 hours a week care, will ask if I think it's needed. As for words in their language, I meant more in case he's trying to tell me something and I don't understand (i.e. she gives me key words that might be useful). I would then say it back but in English. That's what I was thinking anyway smile

Italiana Thu 11-Oct-12 14:43:12

You met this morning and starting next week?...any settling-in? that is when you could exchange information on how to start communicating with this child who is going to be bilingual....
Plenty of advice on internet as to what to do...

looneytune Thu 11-Oct-12 16:37:45

Italiana - yes, sometimes they simply need care too soon and don't really need loads of settling in. They are only coming for 4 hours a week and they were very comfortable with coming up to me and giving me toys etc. so I don't feel there will be a problem from that point of view. I've looked after over 40 children to date and am pretty good at working out which are going to settle ok without settling in sessions if that's what's needed. And there's always the 4 week settling in period smile

starfishmummy Thu 11-Oct-12 17:05:54

Some little pictures sound good and make games of getting him to say the English words too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now