Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitter/ Nanny - what checks should I do?

(3 Posts)
HecTob Wed 10-Oct-12 22:14:04

Hello,
We have been looking for a babysitter/nanny to look after my 2 boys on an ad hoc basis... some after school care, some evenings. We just needed someone reliable to help us out every now and then.
We've not been in the area long and so I didn't have any recommendations. I put an ad on Gumtree and childcare.co.uk and a lovely 21 year old student has got in touch. We've met her, she's very sweet and knew how to communicate with my DSs. She's studying early years and knew the phonic sounds. She was an Au Pair in the summer in Italy and I've contacted them and she helped a childminder back in Ireland, where she's from, before moving here to go to Uni and I've contacted her too.
We live on site at a school so we have to get her CRB checked, but that takes time.
Have I done enough? I feel like she's a genuine person and I hate that I'm doubting her.
Can anyone let me know what sort of checks they've done on people who have looked after their DC?
Am I being over cautious?

exoticfruits Wed 10-Oct-12 22:28:20

It sounds fine to me - if you feel comfortable with her I would go ahead.

SamSmalaidh Wed 10-Oct-12 22:31:24

CRB, first aid certificate, ID, spoken to references.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now