Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Accidentally gave veggie mindee soup made with chicken stock - fess up?

(23 Posts)
ZuleikaD Wed 10-Oct-12 15:39:26

All in the title really - got some soup out of the freezer for lunch today and 9mo mindee had it for lunch. Parents are vegetarian and bringing her up vegetarian too (no dietary reason, just personal preference). I completely forgot until it was too late that it was a batch I'd made with chicken stock. Would you tell the parents?

Abra1d Wed 10-Oct-12 15:42:11

No.

You made a genuine mistake. The mindee enjoyed the soup and it's not as though it will harm her.

Put it down to a moment's absent-mindedness and forget about it. Unless, of course, they ask you directly: did you use vegetarian stock in the soup?

Doodler79 Wed 10-Oct-12 15:42:30

No, I wouldn't! What they don't know won't hurt them - you haven't harmed their child. Just be a bit more careful in future!!

TunipTheVegemal Wed 10-Oct-12 15:45:51

No don't mention it, it's not like they can give her an antidote!

Frontpaw Wed 10-Oct-12 15:49:02

I wouldn't - and I am veggie! Its not like she is allergic to something that you have given her, and she won't 'go to hell' because of it either. You didn't so it on purpose and it does happen from time to time (bloody fish in Tesco miso soup, the bastards).

FireOverBabylon Wed 10-Oct-12 15:49:33

No. I did work experience in a nursery as a 14 year old many years ago and there were two Sams. One was veggie, the other wasn't and no-one checked that I knew there were two when they handed me a plate and said "give it to Sam" and none of the staff noticed until veggie Sam was half way through chicken pie.

The child hasn't been harmed. If you'd given them something that could have induced an allergic reaction, i would say fess up, but not just because you accidentally gave her chicken stock.

NatashaBee Wed 10-Oct-12 15:49:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nope, genuine mistake that you or the parents can do nothing about. Don't worry yourself over it.

ZuleikaD Wed 10-Oct-12 15:56:17

Thanks all! Very reassuring. Of course I'd tell them if they asked, but I'll just be more careful in the future.

Frontpaw Wed 10-Oct-12 15:58:29

Just no turkey twizlers. That would be unforgivable.

duchesse Wed 10-Oct-12 16:07:07

Keep schtum.

Vegetarian au pair accidentally ended up eating the chicken based soup rather than the vegetable one (both looked the same). We decided not to mention it.

Also accidentally gave bacon to a Jewish kid once (first time he'd ever had it). His parents were fine about it (after I confessed months later). Apparently they'd told him just to go along with whatever was happening at other people's houses.

Frontpaw Wed 10-Oct-12 16:21:45

I gave a muslim girl a ham and cheese sandwich once (we were at a school doo and I had the snackbox there - she was eyeing up the food so I asked he if she wanted anything to eat). I am quite pally with the mum too, and it just slipped my mind completely that it may be Bad. I called the mum and she said they ate ham anyway and she thanked me for feeding the child. I knew they weren't exactly religious anyway (they have great christmas parties, don't fast, drink...) but I felt awful!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 10-Oct-12 16:37:06

No don't tell - no point. Will prob make parents feel awful

Also be warned if you use lea and perrains Worcestershire sauce it is veggie shock

I never knew that and alway put in my quorn mince when making lasagne and slag bol for my veggie friend sad

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 10-Oct-12 16:37:45

Isn't grrrrrrr

PropositionJoe Wed 10-Oct-12 16:41:43

Ha ha ha slag bol

sleepyheadzzz Wed 10-Oct-12 16:43:11

No. Myself and my young children are vegetarian and I genuinely would not want to know if it was an honest mistake.

Ebb Wed 10-Oct-12 18:14:15

PMSL laughing at Blondes slag bol! What do you write on your phone to make it auto correct to such rude words?! grin

I'm veggie, although I'm not bringing my kids up veggie, and I wouldn't mention it. It was an honest mistake.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 10-Oct-12 18:18:31

Oh god ebb blush I didn't even see that - just saw isn't instead of is

Spag not slag

'Runs and hides'

greenbananas Wed 10-Oct-12 18:50:12

My grandma once made sherry trifle for a teetotal women's group at her local church. They all praised the wonderful flavour and asked what she had put in it, but she didn't dare tell them grin

OP, I am guessing that you would have been much, much more careful if this had been an allergy issue rather than 'just' a lifestyle choice. My DS has very severe food allergies and a mistake like this could be very serious for him - he could die, or at least have a really bad reaction. However, in this situation, I think you just made an honest mistake and there's no point in getting too worried about it. I would tell the parents though.

Frontpaw Wed 10-Oct-12 18:51:52

Sips of avocaat from grandma!

ZuleikaD Thu 11-Oct-12 10:57:13

I'd really like a recipe for slag bol. grin. Yes, I knew about Worcestershire sauce - it's basically rotted anchovies. Thanks all!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 11-Oct-12 14:27:16

when you describe it like that zule, i heave - i hate them - but love lea&p sauce - weird eh

SoldeInvierno Thu 11-Oct-12 15:38:54

I wouldn't mention it, but be aware that her nappies might be a bit doggy tomorrow. That's what happened to my veggie DS as a todler when he accidentaly ate a hot dog at a hotel run holiday club. He had eaten soya hot dogs at home and thought it was the same. His stomach was not ready for to process meat based protein and ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now