Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New childminder - taking on too much too soon?

(3 Posts)
lechatnoir Tue 09-Oct-12 21:19:51

I'm a fairly new CM and currently have 2 before & after schoolies every day (although only an hour after school) and a baby 2 days a week plus 2 of my own children one at school & the other PT pre-school. I was hoping to have 1 more pre-schooler for a few days & possibly another PT schoolie but have had an enquiry for 2 under 3's three days a week and am really torn as to whether to agree to it or not.
On the one hand the money would be great & given I might not get another enquiry for weeks or even months it would be nice not to have to worry about filling spaces, but I am worried that I might be taking on too much too soon and won't be able to cope during the holidays when my 2 are home all day! Any words of wisdom from more established & experienced CM's?
LCN

Runoutofideas Wed 10-Oct-12 10:16:37

Are the baby and the 2 under 3's on different days of the week, meaning you'd be working every day plus before and after school? Sounds a lot to me, although I made the decision to only work 2.5 days a week and term time only as I have 2 children in school. Would the new ones suit a term-time only contract? Might make things a bit easier... I have only been registered for 6 months and I know that i would find it tough working every day as well as the school holidays - up to you though. Could you take one of the under 3's, or are they twins/siblings, and overlap it with the same days as the baby you currently have?

lechatnoir Wed 10-Oct-12 19:08:44

Yes baby is 2 days then the other 2 are siblings on the other 3 days so working 5 days. My initial reaction was 'no' but the older of the siblings will be in nursery in the mornings from jan and my schoolies ate very easy. Might ask how set the days are as I'd rather have 1 manic day with all three if it meant 1 day off although speaking to both mums they seemed fairly set on the days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now