Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

new childminder - who pays for double buggy?

(11 Posts)
bumpertobumper Tue 09-Oct-12 17:05:15

My kids will be looked after by a new childminder soon. I have a practical question:
My DS2 -2yo and her DS2 - 1yo will be with her all day (one each older will be at school/nursery). To get around with the little ones she will need a double buggy - I am thinking of offering to find one on Ebay and split the cost? is that reasonable? who usually pays for things like this?
Thanks for any advice...

eeyore12 Tue 09-Oct-12 17:06:42

The childminder would normally pay, and claim tx back as a business expense.

NellyBluth Tue 09-Oct-12 17:12:38

I'd expect the CM to pay, as it is a business essential for her. Most CMs will regularly have 2 non-walkers with them, so they have to plan for that.

moogstera1 Tue 09-Oct-12 17:15:05

Childminder to pay. I'm a CM and wouldn't dream of asking a parent to contribute to any equipment unless they were specifying eg. a particular type of car seat.

GrimAndHumourless Tue 09-Oct-12 17:17:36

yes the CM will pay, and claim back via exoenses; you are very kind to think of this though, lucky CM to be working with such a lovely person

bumpertobumper Tue 09-Oct-12 19:46:27

That's good news, thanks everyone!

ZuleikaD Wed 10-Oct-12 09:21:13

Childminder pays. It's equipment that she needs to run her business - you shouldn't have to buy the buggy. I'm a CM and it wouldn't occur to me to suggest a parent should pay.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Wed 10-Oct-12 13:00:12

If you actually mean a proper registered childminder (some people say childminder, but mean nanny/mother's help/someone they know who looks after children unregistered) then the childminder would pay as it's something she needs for her business.

minderjinx Wed 10-Oct-12 13:39:43

I agree the CM should buy it = though she can't "claim" the cost back from HMRC or anyone else. She will still have to pay for it, and if she doesn't earn enough to pay tax, which a lot don't, she will have no tax advantage. If the cost of the buggy, treated as an expense, takes her just under the tax threshold, she will arguably save about a quarter of its value.

ReetPetit Wed 10-Oct-12 13:57:30

if she's a registered childminder then she will buy the buggy if she doesn't have one already, as she will use it for other children, not just yours,even after yours have left. If she is a nanny/au pair then it would be reasonable to split cost if it is for your and her child solely.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Wed 10-Oct-12 18:01:16

Yes, a childminder should pay.

For a nanny bringing their own child I think it would be more negotiable, but probably you would pay. I did when in that situation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: