Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies - can I ask what cars you drive, age of child & carseats you have?

(21 Posts)
Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:41:38

Title says it all

I'm looking at getting a new car but really unsure what to get

lechatnoir Sun 07-Oct-12 23:29:17

Not a nanny but a cm and I have recently swopped my 5 door BMW saloon for an older far less glam people carrier(Renault grande espace) & it's great for transporting 3+ children with all their stuff with space for friends/buggies etc plus when I go out with just my kids I can get their bikes in. . Car seats I started with a stage 1 (9mths-4yrs) & 2 stage 2 high backed booster but just bought one that covers 9nths-13yrs and it's brilliant wish I had another one.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:33:10

An looking at the Renault scenic. I nanny for a baby (9months) and a 4 year old. So will be a while before i lose pushchair and carseats

nannynick Mon 08-Oct-12 06:58:38

Daihatsu Sirion. Cheap and small. Not a lot of boot space but I get 3 car seats in the rear - 2 highbacked booster Group123 and a Group1 seat (9mths-4yrs).

chocchoc30 Mon 08-Oct-12 08:51:42

Renault Scenic I love the boot space in it. I have a 2 year old (maxi tobi cosi car seat) and a 5 year old who has a high back booster.

SheilaWheeler Mon 08-Oct-12 08:58:15

I'm a CM, we have a Citroen Xsara Picasso. Very dull and grown-up but I can get 3 full size car seats in the back and, if really necessary the airbag can be turned off in the front passenger seat. The boot fits a double Mountain Buggy.

SheilaWheeler Mon 08-Oct-12 08:59:55

Oh and car seats - Maxi Cosi Tobis because they are so easy to adjust between tbe ages without taking the whole thing apart.

juneybean Mon 08-Oct-12 10:15:56

I've got a Citroen Xsara and currently have two britax stage 1 in the back and a stage 2 booster with back in the front.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 08-Oct-12 10:29:45

Land Rover Freelander

Currently have 2 highback booster seats as both charges now at school

maturenanny Mon 08-Oct-12 13:17:55

I have a Peugeot 207 sw, can fit three car seats in the back, a bit of a squeeze but doable!
Car seats are provided by the families I work for, at the mo I have a high back booster and an isofox family base with car seat. I have three full belts in the back, two isofox points.
I can also switch off the airbag in the front passenger so can safely take additional child in the front.

Good luck!

maturenanny Mon 08-Oct-12 13:18:22

Ps boot is really big, I can even fit my sons quad bike in it! X

gruber Mon 08-Oct-12 13:28:19

Nanny here, Citroen Xsara Picasso. Have anywhere between 1 & 4 children (nannyshare!) depending on which day. Can get 2 highback boosters & a stage 1 in rear plus regular (low) booster in front, or 1 stage 1, 1 highback booster and 1 regular booster in back.

Can also get huge amounts of stuff (bikes, buggy, scooters) in boot & it's really easy to drive- love it.

gruber Mon 08-Oct-12 13:29:48

P.s. have 3 full seatbelts in back & like maturenanny can switch off front airbag very easily for when I do have one in the front.

Dordeydoo Mon 08-Oct-12 18:04:07

A mixture of big and small. Maybe I should just go for a small 5door car. Currently have a maxi cosi cabrofix and a high back booster. Occasionally a forward facing group 1. Any suggestions of cars?

nannynick Mon 08-Oct-12 18:29:03

Budget? Buying new or 1yr old, or older?

These days I avoid French, Itallian. Had those in the past. I would go for Korean, Japanese, Chinese - Toyota group, Kia, Hyundai, Honda. Cars are often made in various places, not only the companies home country. Nissan and Honda have UK plants, Hyundai has a plant somewhere in Eastern Europe I think.

Consider servicing. I like to buy from local dealer and have them do all servicing.

Dordeydoo Mon 08-Oct-12 18:35:02

No more than £6500 really as am being lent the money of my grandad.
Am in love with my Clio and was thinking another renault

eurycantha Mon 08-Oct-12 22:35:35

I am on my 7th micra .I can get three high back booster seats in the back two graco and a britax.I nanny for 6 year old twins and their 7 year old brother .I got a MacLaren double fold up buggy when I started as couldn't t get the big buggy in the boot

eurycantha Mon 08-Oct-12 22:37:00

Note.Just make sure it s 5 door ,sooooo much easier.

Dordeydoo Mon 08-Oct-12 22:51:07

Will definitely be a 5 door car.

nannyl Tue 09-Oct-12 08:59:03

be aware of under feet foot storage compartments.

i have them in my picasson, a friend has them in her renault (I think its a scenic)

they mean that lots and lots of car seats (any with a foot pole) do not fit safely so can be a complete pain.

I could not find a group 0 car seat base that i could use in my car (isofix or belted) and there is only 1 group 1 car seat (britax duo plus) that fits

I think ford make a foam filler for the cars they have with these storage holes, but i couldnt find them for citroen at all

very VERY annoying that they make family cars, make a point of having isofix, but then put these storage bits in so most car seats cant be used angry

nannyl Tue 09-Oct-12 09:00:22

picasso (not picasson!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now