Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Centre for Social Justice: latest report on transforming childcare

(5 Posts)
Italiana Sun 07-Oct-12 12:21:18

This may make c/ms wake up with what is being proposed out there in terms of reforming childcare...this article is causing a bit of a stir among c/ms on Twitter and several letters flowing to CSJ

Have a read and tell us what you think?

http://centreforsocialjustice.org.uk/client/images/Childcare%20FINAL_041012.pdf

mum2akebk Sun 07-Oct-12 17:39:20

Yes I have seen this and it is very concerning. There seems to be a lot of inaccuracies - in one of the tables it appears that only nurseries and schools care for children between the ages of 1 and 4 years on the early years register - no mention of childminders at all! The report appears to be only concerned with cost-cutting for the Government with no regard to the quality of the resultant childcare workforce.

HSMM Sun 07-Oct-12 20:28:29

'For parents to choose work, work must always pay.' - I know plenty of people who have worked for less than their childcare cost.

'make it easier for parents to work without needing formal childcare..... encouraging informal childminder networks' - what?

'a modest relaxation of childcare ratios during peak hours.' - hmmmm

'encourage childminding circles' - not sure if I want to be in a 'circle'.

'childminders and informal carers are able to look after multiple children at no
additional cost.' - so no extra cost for food, nappies, outings, etc then?

'A childcare ratio of 1:3 is quite low considering that after school clubs for example run on a 1:8, or even a 1:13 ratio.' - It is low for experienced childminders with plenty of resources, but many good childminders would not want to exceed this ratio, while some bad childminders would love to exceed it. I have often had 4 under 5, but it is harder work.

Unfortunately, I am not able to come to your meeting with Ofsted Italiana.

wedoNOTdomistyping Sun 07-Oct-12 21:53:24

Their information on ratios is partly incorrect too. The second age group with the 1:4 ratio should, of course, apply to 2-3 year olds, not 1-2 year olds. And a qualified teacher or EYP can have a ratio of 1:13 with children from 3 years old, not 8 years old. Ridiculous that this report can't even get the basics right.

Italiana Sun 07-Oct-12 22:05:14

Yes an awful lot of misinformation and 1 'young' c/ms input...not clear whether young in age or experience
This has caused lots of letters sent to the Centre for Social Justice...more to follow I am sure....very bad report
watch this space

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now