Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do nannies do homework/reading with their charges?

(12 Posts)
HappyAsEyeAm Wed 03-Oct-12 14:54:32

Inspired by the thread about CMs and whether they should/could be helping with homework.

I have DS1 (4 yo) who has just started reception, and DS2, 5 mo. I am on maternity leave at the moment, and I am going back to work shortly. Our nanny of the past 2 years or so will look after both DSs whrn I go back tpo work part time.

DS1 has just started reception, At the moment, his homework every night is to read whetever book he has brought home from school (we do this maybe 4 times until he gets it right) and recognise the words on flashcards (again, we do this maybe 3 times). This takes maybe 10-15 minutes or so.

When I return to work, I shan't be home on nmy working days until 5:45. I will then have a play with them both, bath them both and put them both to bed, ideally for 7 pm, which is roughly the pattern we're in now.

I'm not sure whether the time of the evening is conducive to DS1 being able or willing to do homework, and it may be that as the school year goes on, he gets more. So should our nanny be doing it with him, writing in the reading record book etc? Or not? In many ways, I will be sad not to do it with him. But I am more conscious that he needs to do his homework when he is willing and receptive.

Yep, I do homework, school projects, reading and Kumon with my lot....it's easier to do it as soon as we get home

mogandme Wed 03-Oct-12 15:43:18

I do with my charge.I start work at 715 so we have breakfast/get dressed by 8am then spend 25 minutes.reading school books/playing educational games etc. The morning is the best time for us as he's more alert etc. It also means that Mb can also have a turn in the evening without it appearing like overkill.

StillSquiffy Wed 03-Oct-12 16:11:46

Yes. It's normal for nannies to do this.

surpriseme Wed 03-Oct-12 19:34:11

Yes its normal for nannies to do this and every nanny I know who has school aged children does homework with them.
I'm a nanny and my two older charges are in school. The oldest is 7yrs and is in yr 3 and the other one is 5 and in yr 1.
The 7yr old each wk has a sheet of maths, spellings and literacy-write a certain amount of sentences using words from spelling list, at moment their learning joined up writting so she gets a sheet of that too.Also a reading book. We get the maths/spelling/joined up writting on a friday and we get to the following thurs to do it and the reading book gets swapped every few days.

The 5yr old gets spelling and a sheet of maths.Reading book.The spelling and maths comes home on a friday and has to be in following thurs. Reading book gets swapped every few days.

I tend to try and get majority done on the friday.At moment we complete the 5yr olds math sheet on a friday so just have spellings and reading rest of wk.7 yr old we tendto do maths and maybe part of literacy.We then finish rest on other eves.

Its very rare they will do homework with their parents as they are busy at wkends and dont get back til 6:30 in evenings. I started way before oldest started school so homework was never discussed when took job on but its just evolved this way

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 04-Oct-12 07:49:41

Yes I do homework and always when we come home from school - normally as I am cooking tea - may have a small snack of fruit to keep up energy levels

If do homework later - ie after tea then they moan over it so always when come home

Rarely do homework before school unless arrive on a Monday and find that parents havnt managed to find time (15mins) over the weekend to read / do maths sheet etc hmm

Reading and spellings etc dont take long so if you have time to say listen to your child to read in am before nanny gets there then the nanny will do the same in the evening - small regular sessions are better then a massive one where the child esp reception gets tired / loses concentration

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Thu 04-Oct-12 13:29:45

Yes.

nbee84 Thu 04-Oct-12 13:35:54

Yes, usually when we arrive home from school.

Though I have worked with a Jewish family and wasn't much help with Hebrew studies homework as I can't read or write Hebrew grin

HappyAsEyeAm Thu 04-Oct-12 17:49:42

This is good to know, thanks.

nannykatherine Sun 21-Oct-12 17:31:07

Yes. Part of the job ....

Dordeydoo Sun 21-Oct-12 18:47:07

Yes my charge has just started in reception and we come in from school, quick snack then do reading book and his word pot

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Sun 21-Oct-12 20:27:52

When I have done after school jobs I have done reading with the child/dren if parents want me to. I usually insist they do it very soon after returning home so its over and done with - not always popular with the children but then its not looming for later in the eve

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now