Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Time/money saving ideas and tips for busy working parents (Please read)

(6 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Wed 03-Oct-12 13:37:22

I am a busy mom of four kids and seven cm kids.

I know life can get busy for us all whether you have one or seven children. At times it can be challenging when you are working as well, whether from home or outside the home.

What tips and advice can you share with us all.

As a parent
-Delegate your workload whenever possible. My kids help with the washing up, even my youngest (8yrs old)
-I fold clothes sometime iinstead of ironing
_I provide drinks from home, bit more from school

As a CM
-I emailed my parents where possible (policies and procedures, newsletter, invoices etc)
-I make my own playdough (cheaper)
-I buy good quality euipment/toys etc from charity shops (some have not even been used before). Wash if needs be

Misc.
-Think before you agree to do something that will affect your family. ie did 07.00 starts and realised how much it effect my house hold. I now do 07.30
- If you are not happy with something nip it in the bud, in the first instance, for example late payment, late collection, unwell kids being dropped off at my house
- Do your best for the kids you care for but do not take on the parents responsility (ie struggling to get cm kids to do homework, I will help them but will not force anyone to do homework if they do not want to,. I have learnt this the hard way

SORRY SO LONG BUT HOPE IT HELPS

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Wed 03-Oct-12 14:01:58

Never iron, it's a complete waste of time!

<unless you're going to a job interview, wedding or funeral and what you want to wear is VERY creased>

Cook extra so you can freeze some/have some the next day.

Only buy the essentials for art/craft, use what you have around the house instead of buying stickers/feathers/sequins etc.

dinkystinky Wed 03-Oct-12 14:05:23

Slowcookers - prep night before and then stick on the morning - total lifesaver.

Tumbledrying seems to reduce creases in clothes you dont iron.

Take healthy snacks out with you from home and water/juice when going out for the day - saves a fortune.

Chores for pocketmoney (tidying room, making bed, loading dishwasher) seem to work well for my ds1 (aged 6and a half) as he's saving up towards something.

Spare change jar - empty purse/wallet of small change regularly into it - can really add up (counted up £30 in spare change the other day) and useful for a rainy day.

MUM2BLESS Thu 04-Oct-12 14:01:58

Thank you Holy... and dinky...much appreciated.

How many kids do you both deal with, including your own?

Are you both cm's?

dinkystinky Thu 04-Oct-12 14:06:54

Mum - I'm a full time working parent, 2 kids - I'm generally out of the house 7.30 to 6.30/7 during the week - possibly later. My husband works longer hourse. My tips above are to make life easier for both me during the week (and weekend) and my childcare during the week.

Runoutofideas Thu 04-Oct-12 14:28:15

Join Scrapstore if there is one nearby - great for art/creative supplies.

Get your own children to have school dinners (fewer lunches to sort out!)

Cut up fruit and share it out rather than giving 2 yr olds whole bananas each so half can be thrown away.

Check out charity shops and ebay for equipment/toys. Sell stuff you no longer need.

Use vouchers for 2 for 1 entry etc printed in local papers/ invitation books (not sure if they are a nationwide thing...).

Can't think of any more words of wisdom but will gratefully receive anyone elses! (Mum of 2 and cm to 6)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now