Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it possible to find a childminder just for the school runs?

(6 Posts)
pugsandseals Tue 02-Oct-12 10:08:56

We live in a small village with no bus to DD's school. It's been fine up to now, but now work is changing & I'm often expected in the opposite direction to her school. I was just wondering if it is possible to get a childminder or someone to just do all the school runs for me? And what kind of flexibility with late pick Ups for clubs there would be? And how much it would be likely to cost?

Is it even possible to just employ someone to do this rather than keeping until 6 or something?

PostBellumBugsy Tue 02-Oct-12 10:13:56

I think you have to be realistic about what you are expecting someone to do & how much you will pay them.
If I were a childminder, I would be thinking to myself, why would I pick up a child for just one hour, and get paid for just one hour, when I could pick up a child for 3 hours & get paid for that? It is going to be hard fo find someone who is incredibly flexible and prepared not to be paid much - if that makes sense.
Is there another mum you could share school runs with, so she could cover the days you can't manage & you could do the other days? That might be a better way of managing it.

Tanith Tue 02-Oct-12 11:54:43

Most parents who need this service in our area use taxi drivers. They're CRB checked and will do the school runs before and after school. Might be worth checking.

DowagersHump Tue 02-Oct-12 11:57:56

Can you send your DD to afterschool club and then collect her when you finish work?

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 02-Oct-12 11:59:58

Does the school offer wraparound care? That might be your best option.

pugsandseals Tue 02-Oct-12 13:54:22

The wraparound care is fantastic! It's not the time of drop off & pick up that's the problem but the extra driving it entails. 100 miles per week might not sound much, but add that to my 500 miles I do for work & it gets very tiring. I have to drive for work, there is no option there, but if I could get someone other than dh (who is already covering some) to do some runs it would help hugely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now