Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What interview questions should I ask?

(7 Posts)
LAF77 Wed 26-Sep-12 08:25:43

I am starting to look around for help caring for my son who is 6 months old.

I am a bit lost to know what questions I should ask a potential nanny (not live in).

I guess I am feeling quite emotional about not spending every waking minute with him and don't know where to start.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

ToothyMcTooth Wed 26-Sep-12 09:39:34

Ah it is hard. Tbh I think these decisions are mostly an instinct thing but it is worth having a list of questions to get to that instinct!

I asked the following;

Tell me about your background
What do you most like doing when you're looking after children?
How well do you know the area? (playgroups etc)
What sort of food do you cook?
How do you deal with bad behaviour?
How flexible are your hours? Can you do evenings/weekends if needed?

It is amazing how some people would say things like "oh I don't really enjoy cooking, I guess I'd make some pasta or something" or "I can only work 8-6 and no more at all". To me some of the major benefits of a nanny is getting good food for your kids and (some) flexibility in hours.

nannynick Wed 26-Sep-12 10:49:27

Check they meet your minimum requirements such as being a driver, having a qualification you recognise, first aid training, Ofsted registered, speak fluent English French Danish, whatever your requirements are. Whilst this should have been confirmed via correspondence already, meeting them in person gives you the opportunity to see their supporting documents such as training certificates.

Check they understand about what is on offer - the hours of work, the pay and when they are paid (Gross monthly salary I suggest). Check they have a national insurance number and also look at any other supporting Identification documents such as passport, driving license, home utility bill.

Ask about what they will do each day, with baby and when baby sleeps.

See how they interact with your baby. See if you feel comfortable chatting to them.

MGMidget Sun 30-Sep-12 22:47:52

I would also ask why they left their previous jobs and why they want to leave their current job (if they have one).
Can they give you an example of an emergency situation they have had with a child and how did they deal with it?
What would they do if your baby seemed unwell/extra sleepy/hot etc? And then discuss further according to how they answer the question.
What techniques do they think work best/do they use to get a baby to sleep?
And a couple of probing questions about whether they smoke. Having been caught out recently by a smoking au pair who claimed to be a non smoker I would check this more thoroughly than just asking 'do you smoke'?. E.g. do you mean you never smoke or just not when on duty? Have you ever smoked and if so when did you give up?
Are they happy to take your baby to the doctors and administer all medications in your absence (we had a previous nanny who was allergic to penicillin, the most common antibiotic prescribed for young children so she didn't like administering it)

MUM2BLESS Mon 01-Oct-12 18:59:59

How many kids do you look after and their ages?
How many kdis have you got of your own?
What training and quals have you got that helps you with childminding?
Do yo attend a childminding group or parent and toddler group?

MUM2BLESS Mon 01-Oct-12 19:01:27

Also how long have you been childminding for?
Do you do school runs?
How do you plan to ensure you meet the needs of all the children?
What themes do you have with the kids?

Italiana Mon 01-Oct-12 21:13:27

A nanny is not a childminder! the former is employed and the latter self employed and running her own setting/business....
How about asking her what you require and see what her strengths are
If she is 'registered and qualified' she would probably like to show you her portfolio....what her experience has been or is she unregistered?
References may be a good thing to ask...after all you are leaving her in charge of your children !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now