Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies I need your advice!

(9 Posts)
Dordeydoo Tue 25-Sep-12 23:17:25

Today my charges grandma came round to see him ( have no issue with that), she then asked if she could take him to her friends for their coffee afternoon (guess she wants to show him off). I said no as I felt he's in my care so stays with me! Spoke to mum about this when she got home from work & she said it would of been fine.

What Would you do if the situation rises again?

FelicitywasSarca Tue 25-Sep-12 23:19:52

I would make a firm agreement with your bosses as to what they want to happen! Totally understand your concern though.

Sam100 Tue 25-Sep-12 23:30:15

I think you did exactly the right thing. If grandma wants to take baby out she should discuss with her daughter and then daughter should tell you the plans for the day. It is not for you to decide if grandma should take child or not. Very bad of grandma to put you on the spot and mummy boss should have backed you up by saying thank you and in future I will let you know if my mum is going to take the baby out.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 25-Sep-12 23:31:16

Yes the child was in your care and I understand why you said no

Saying that guess depends how long you have been in job and know what the relationship is like - ie possible mb doesn't have a good relationship with her mum and didn't want her to see her grandchild

If granny turned up on current job I would always go early

Maybe in your circumstances I would have said let's all go - that way all are happy and your back is covered

Dordeydoo Tue 25-Sep-12 23:38:28

Mb and grandma have a good relationship and she frequently sees the children and relieves me from work at least twice a week.

I think I shall speak to Mb in morning to discuss how should happen in future.
I couldnt of gone with grandma as was waiting in for delivery.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Wed 26-Sep-12 00:02:17

In my current job I'd let their Granny take them, but I've been here long enough to know MB and Granny well enough to know this would be ok.

In your situation I would have rung mum or dad at work and just checked it was ok.

Dordeydoo Wed 26-Sep-12 00:06:59

Dads currently away so couldn't ring him, and mums a teacher so teaching at the time. I think I'll just discuss with Mb in morning and come to an agreement.

mogandme Wed 26-Sep-12 06:57:32

Would depend on the job. My mb is pretty much uncontactable during work hours so I'd probably say no. However I dont have a great relationship with thwarting grandparents so maybe not best to advise grin

forevergreek Wed 26-Sep-12 07:14:35

I would have said yes but only in my job as know family relationships. Each case is individual and if it's not happened before then I would say you did the right thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now