Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

do nannys work with parents?

(8 Posts)
Flojo1979 Tue 25-Sep-12 23:04:46

Ok not sure how this works. My dd goes to nursery 5 days a wk but I'm struggling to cope with dc's when I'm home, bad habits etc and I also would love someone to do occasional evening cover.
Do nannys ever work alongside parents?

juneybean Tue 25-Sep-12 23:07:01

Some do, but perhaps you're looking for a Mothers' Help?

Flojo1979 Tue 25-Sep-12 23:10:25

Where would I get me one of those?!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 25-Sep-12 23:34:53

Ditto jb - advertise on gumtree - netmums and nannyjob

But depends what you want - a nanny to take charge and put some boundaries down or just an extra pair of hands (mh)

Tbh most nannies would avoid your job as most jobs with a parent around are hard work as children play off each adult

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Wed 26-Sep-12 00:03:45

Are you looking for a kind of supernanny to come in and guide you/sort out any problems or just an extra pair of hands to help get them to bed?

happychappy Wed 26-Sep-12 02:53:07

I've had friends ask me to do it but never been paid for it. Would love to though as I get such a kick out of helping find solutions and think always admire someone that can see something isn't working who tries to find ideas rather than just complain.

NotAChocolateRaisin Wed 26-Sep-12 14:09:53

I'm a Nanny and I work alongside the parents.
It's referred to as "shared-care" and can be advertised (with the aforementioned websites) as a normal Nanny job (say that it is shared care in the ad) or through an agency.
I have always been under the impression that Mother's help is a little more of a cleaner/assistant job for pregnant women/new mums.

Go out and look for a Nanny, most will be happy with shared care.

nannynick Wed 26-Sep-12 14:39:01

Just a few evenings a month or a week may not appeal to many people. Sounds a bit like you want a troubleshooter to just come for a few hours per day/per week.

Yoy mention nursery, so were you thinking if changing from using nursery to using a nanny? That will be of more interest to people I feel but the costs are going to be a lot.

Perhaps explain more about what you want, what someobe would be doing, what hours & days you would want them to work, what salary you would expect to offer. Is it long term or just for a few weeks/months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now