Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

First week of being a nanny

(5 Posts)
melissajp Tue 25-Sep-12 17:42:47

I'm due to start my first ever live in nanny role next week and am getting a bit nervous now it's near. Any words of wisdom or advice for me?

nbee84 Tue 25-Sep-12 18:12:42

Don't be afraid to ask questions and ask lots of them - however silly you may think they seem. It's better to know all the ins and outs of the children, their routines and the household and your employers expectations of you. You will feel more confident in what you are doing if you know that it's the right way.

Good luck smile

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Tue 25-Sep-12 19:12:10

It will get easier!

That's my biggest piece of advice. It's always tough to start because your new to them and they're new to you, you're not able to read them in the same way you will be able to when you've been there a while and got to know them. If you're new to the area as well it's even harder, but once you find your way around and meet some other nannies/mums it gets so much easier. As nbee said ask questions, but bear in mind some of it will just take time to become easier.

Frakiosaurus Tue 25-Sep-12 19:13:54

Make sure before you start that you have a contract and insurance in place, that your contract specifies a gross wage and that your bosses are on the ball with PAYE bd declaring your earnings.

Once the pesky paperwork is out the way just try to relax and enjoy yourself. Kids and parents appreciate a nanny who knows how to have fun and of you do have any questions just raise them as and when you can.

Oh and don't pack too much stuff! Every time I left a job my stuff had doubled and there were always things I really didn't need.

melissajp Wed 26-Sep-12 13:54:43

Thanks all helpful stuff guys!
I've signed my contract so got all that side of things sorted out. I'll be moving away from most of my friends and family for this so I suppose it'll take time to get used to it all. But I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now