Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Tax code question for people in the know!

(9 Posts)
crispycake Mon 24-Sep-12 19:00:30

Hi I'm a nanny and I worked in a nanny share till aug!
Family no 1 who were my main employers paid me more and my tax code ended in L. Family no 2 (my 2nd employers) didn't pay as much a month and the tax code for them ended in T.

I've left family 1 and am now a sole charge nanny for family no 2!
Paye for nannies are still using the same tax code ending in T but they know I'm working with family no 2 full time now in a sole charge position.
What I would like to know is if this should be changed to my previous tax code ending in L or if I need to get a new one!

I've received my pay slip from my employers and they are paying a huge amount in tax!

Hope you can make sense out of this smile and thanks for reading and helping if you do smile

crispycake Mon 24-Sep-12 19:02:29

Oh and should I give family no 2 (who i now work for) my p45 from family no 1!

MrAnchovy Mon 24-Sep-12 20:22:53

Nobody is allowed to use a different tax code until they are told to do so by HMRC. Most nanny payroll providers work with a specific person at HMRC dealing with tax code splits so probably best to call paye4nannies and explain the situation; they should be able to expedite a revised tax code which should make everything work OK by the end of the year but it would be best to check that you have paid roughly the right amount of tax overall (deduct 8,105 from your total gross income to 5th April 2013 and multiply by 20%).

MrAnchovy Mon 24-Sep-12 20:23:52

And no, you can only process a P45 for a new employee.

baabaapinksheep Mon 24-Sep-12 20:34:52

When you stopped working for the first employer they will have submitted a p45 to HMRC, once this has been processed (they can take a while) you will be issued with a new tax code. Just check when it gets to end of the year that you haven't paid too much tax.

MrAnchovy Mon 24-Sep-12 20:46:03

No, HMRC will not (should not) do this automatically - for all they know the taxpayer could have started a new part-time job giving the new employer the P45 so they can't adjust the code for the existing job.

crispycake Mon 24-Sep-12 21:48:15

Thank you

baabaapinksheep Tue 25-Sep-12 12:11:26

No, HMRC will not (should not) do this automatically what issue tax codes? I do payroll for companies and frequently get coding notices issued by HMRC.

MrAnchovy Tue 25-Sep-12 12:45:46

No, issue a coding notice automatically in respect of Employment B following receipt of a P45 in respect of Employment A, partly for the reason I explained.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: