Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Language schools for au-pairs in north London

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MalenaM Sun 23-Sep-12 14:43:39

Is anyone able to recommend a good language school in north of London that's not too expensive? I was also wondering whether most families would pay for their au-pair going to a language school or if the au-pair is expected to pay herself? Thanks in advance.

goingtobefree Mon 24-Sep-12 00:45:40

Our aupair has been with us for two weeks now, we have offered to pay 50%of the fees but the agency sia that the aupairs should pay the fees themselves.

NorfLondonMumOfTwo Mon 24-Sep-12 23:53:30

There is an excellent English for Speakers of Foreign Languages course at Southgate College, London N14. On the Picacadilly Line and several bus routes. Part time, 2-3 mornings a week from 9.30 to 12.00 and about £175 per term.

I paid for my first au pair but now have a strict au-pair pays policy after finding out that au-pair No 1 was serially bunking off. Deeply irritating as I'm a single parent on a budget, they can do what they like if they're paying.

Bonus other than better English and a qualification is that all of my au pairs have made lots of friends this way smile

mumsareglam Wed 26-Sep-12 16:34:20

NorfLondonMumOfTwo - I think APs normally do the EFL course. It's currently £330 at Southgate, I know it used to be a lot cheaper! I have never paid for any courses but this time I plan to offer to pay half if my current AP wants to register for a second term and it is all going well.

NorfLondonMumOfTwo Thu 27-Sep-12 13:38:45

mumsareglam - you may be right as there is a pretty broad range of courses on offer depending on level and ability after assessment. My last French au pair (who's English was brilliant) added on an extra 'English for Business' module on Friday mornings and it helped her get into a top Parisian Uni for Business Studies. I think the pay/don't pay part is a judgement call - glad it's going well for you though!

mikulkin Sun 14-Oct-12 16:46:11

Kingsley school of English in Golders Green. About 300 GBP for term, twice a week.

LadyHarrietdeSpook Sun 14-Oct-12 17:50:11

We don't pay for the language school. I wouldn't rule it out for the right au pair (or at least a contribution to it), but it's not something I would do in the first term before I saw how the land lies. However, we don't ask the au pairs ever to take time off to do something for us instead of attending the course. If you expect them to 'help' when the children are sick, then I would say you must pay for the classes.

In my opinion investing in the language classes helps to focus the au pair's mind on what they're getting out of the year. We start talking to them about what tests they can do etc to end up with a qualification at the end of it. Cambridge seems to count for something back home in Germany as do a couple others.

Non attendance would drive me mad and I think it would happen to some extent with most of them.

Also, I think it would be much much easier for an au pair who was waivering to not bother to try to improve/work on things they were finding difficult (homesick, adjusting to the new environment) if they knew they weren't going to be out of pocket from the courses. Or if another, better off came their way.

SarahJohnnson Wed 18-Jan-17 12:12:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

cccgibass Thu 26-Jan-17 14:56:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FlissMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Jan-17 22:39:14

We're sorry to say we do not allow advertising on our boards. If you wish to advertise please use Mumsnet Local.

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now