Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny/nanny housekeeper?

(13 Posts)
FionaSR Fri 21-Sep-12 06:50:58

My youngest is now at school full time, any suggestions on how to recruit someone to do after school care in term time but full time in the holidays?
We've had full time nannies so far but that doesn't really work with 3 school aged children.
Happy to have full time if they'd be happy to do light housekeeping, dog walking PA type role during term time days.
Our current nanny is going back to Australia soon and has been asking round but all seem to want pre school children and babies. (our eldest is 13!)

Help!

Frakiosaurus Fri 21-Sep-12 11:55:01

Would you consider an experienced au pair type? There are done with a year or so experience who want to do another stint and are happy with wraparound care and a bit of housekeeping termtime but are capable of FT care in the holidays.

FionaSR Fri 21-Sep-12 12:12:57

How does it work. We don't have room for live in unfortunately. sad Would they do live out?

Frakiosaurus Fri 21-Sep-12 12:18:54

Unfortunately not sad you might be able to find someone with the same profile who has accommodation but it's much harder and they tend to aim for nanny-nanny roles.

Do you have any colleges or unis near you? When I was a student (arts, so minimal lectures) I did school pickups and then nannied in the holidays but not for the same family so there might be someone. Downsides are it's difficult to find someone reliable, you get 3 years max out of them assuming all lectures are in school hours and they don't get half terms.

Maybe asking colleges whether any recent childcare grads are looking could be an option? It would be good experience for them and you don't need someone very experienced with 3 school aged children.

Italiana Fri 21-Sep-12 13:05:19

I would suggest getting a c/m for after school care and holiday cover and a cleaner for your home...a nanny is not a cleaner or a dog walker

Karoleann Fri 21-Sep-12 14:41:23

a 13 year isn't going to want to go to a childminder.

Just put an ad on gumtree, if you're in london you'll have no shortage of applicants

Karoleann Fri 21-Sep-12 14:42:56

sorry, posted too soon..I'm in beaconsfield and the majority of the nannies that work here with school age children do housework/doggy things during the day after the school run.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 21-Sep-12 16:59:54

nanny with own child often happy to do this kind of job

FionaSR Fri 21-Sep-12 17:45:40

Tks everyone. CM doesn't work as too much going on. 13 year old would not go and piano is at our house. My youngest wants to do everything the older tow do.
3 in the hols is enough though so 4 for NWOC would be impossible!
I'll put ad on gumtree and try colleges.

forevergreek Sun 23-Sep-12 14:12:29

you could find someone probably but as you say more of a nanny. I think if you find the right person then them having some free time in the day isnt the end of the world

a nanny should not be cleaning! but will obviously do child related chores
so most will:
wash childrens clothes
change childrens bedding
cook meals (most may not mind cooking a dish large enough for family instead of just children)
baking

they will also run errands related to children. im sure you know how often children tell you they need something for school with little notice. (pe stuff/ cooking ingredients/art materials/ friends birthday gifts)

so if you paid a set weekly rate. someone could start at say midday during term time, and use until say 2.30pm for random things/ cooking/ see above, then head off to schools and do pick up and afternoon activities. in the school holidays it will be intensive days of full days.

MiTran1986 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:04:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Cathalyna Mon 24-Sep-12 17:34:14

What you describe would be the exact thing I'd be looking for next year - therefore I guess there must be some more Nannies out there who'd like to do this kind of live-out job. Good luck finding the right person

minderjinx Mon 24-Sep-12 18:42:55

I usually have four children or more. They are all lovely = not impossible in the slightest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now