Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

cost? can someone help?

(15 Posts)
PooPooOnMars Thu 20-Sep-12 14:21:34

Can anyone tell me roughly how much nurseries and childminders cost per day so i can compare?

Also what about wraparound care with a childminder?

This is for the outer London area.

Thanks

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Thu 20-Sep-12 14:43:10

It varies massively. Look on childcare.co.uk for childminders in your area they often have their fees listed, if not give them a call and ask. Do a google search for nurseries in your area, they'll have prices on their website.

nannynick Thu 20-Sep-12 14:45:16

Ages of children? Hours care are needed - eg. 7am-7pm, 8am-6pm?

Any more specific area, are you talking SE3, or more out like TW14?

PooPooOnMars Thu 20-Sep-12 15:15:10

That's the thing hours not confirmed. Possibly my preschooler until school finish, or both preschooler and 7 year old from 3.30 until 5.30

Trying to arrange it so that i don't work all day so that i can limit childcare costs. At the moment my preschooler is in school nursery in afternoons so trying to make the most of that 3 hours a day which is free for me.

Of course if i put them in a nursery in the mornings then they can't go from there to school nursery so i guess i would need to transfer the entitlement to free hours.

Haven't met any local childminders that i like that are available.

Its so complicated. I mostly wondered how it compares between a nursery and a childminder.

PooPooOnMars Thu 20-Sep-12 15:15:33

Im on the border of London.

nannynick Thu 20-Sep-12 15:59:15

Where is the border of London? These days I feel that's the M25 motorway. Costs will vary quite a bit area to area and even within an area, so probably best if we just point you towards places you can look for cost details.

Look at sites like Childcare.co.uk to see if that gives you some idea of costing.
Look at nursery websites to see if they give fee details.
Contact your local Family Information Service (often run by local council) for a list of childcare providers - they may also be able to tell you about some general costings in your area.

If your pre-schooler is in afternoon nursery and if it's the same school as your 7 year old attends, then having a childminder collect from the school nursery and the school itself could work.

Childminder and nursery can be very similar costing. In my area a childminder is typically around £5 per hour, where as a nursery is typically around £60 a day. It will however vary a lot depending on what local childcare providers in your area charge, so you need to obtain lists of the local providers and contact them for costings.

Some childminders are able to provide funded education sessions.

What about during school holidays - would the job you would be doing only during the days your children are at nursery/school?

nannynick Thu 20-Sep-12 16:13:52

If you were in Twickenham, then this nursery publishes it's fees. £63.50 per day if child aged 3 or 4 and attending 5 days a week.
If you were in Barnet, EN4 then this nursery charges £49.50 a day.

Google: nursery fee yourarea
Eg:
nursery fee twickenham
nursery fee barnet

That should give you some idea of nursery costs in your area.

PooPooOnMars Thu 20-Sep-12 16:17:35

Thank you very much, that does give me a rough idea. I've found out that a childminer is about 40 a day here and have emailed a couple of local nurseries as they don't have their prices on the website.

It does make sense i think to try to work as much as possible around the times my youngest is at school nursery. Not sure if the company will be happy with that though.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Thu 20-Sep-12 16:22:02

My CM £4 ph inc all food and snacks.

PooPooOnMars Thu 20-Sep-12 16:23:29

Where are you nine doors?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Thu 20-Sep-12 16:32:21

North East - Gateshead.

PooPooOnMars Thu 20-Sep-12 16:35:59

Well at least one nursery is 49 a day. Only one I've heard from so far so not sure if that is typical.

PooPooOnMars Thu 20-Sep-12 16:38:40

What exactly is a nanny as well? Are they someone who looks after your child in your own home? How do the differ to a babysitter?

(I know nothing!)

PooPooOnMars Thu 20-Sep-12 16:43:27

Don't worry! I Googled it!

forevergreek Sat 22-Sep-12 10:44:22

One thing to consider is that most childminders will charge you full fees even if at nursery for a few hours.
Many care 7am-7pm. Having a child at nursery say 9-12 would mean they would potentially not have space for a child full time so having a child maybe an hour in am then at nursey then 12-6 ( for example would be a loss of 3 hours as with max number of children allowed it would be v unlikely they could fill those odd hours only.
Also if you woul want a childminder to pick up from nursery or take then obv that time before to get there/ bring other minded children along when they would prob be eating/ about to nap is a huge inconvience

A nursery would cover all day fine

A nanny would cover all day, and take to and from nursery and then look after the whole day - but same as childminder if she starts 8am until 6pm they would be paid every hour regardless of whether you child attends nursery for a couple of hours in between. Nanny is one-2-one if you have only one child, and will cover other 'nanny' based child related things at home, such as cooking/ baking for child, washing, sorting room out etc ( most things but only for child not whole family)

As an average I would say:
Nursery- £50 per day
Childminder -£50 per day
Nanny- £450 net per week ( approx £600 in gross with employers tax etc paid)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now